MacBook hibernate slow with 4GB RAM ?

Amuso

3 posts in this topic

My MacBook shipped with 1GB RAM, and always went to sleep almost instantly when I closed the lid. It was great. Then, after upgrading to 4GB RAM it could take up to a minute to finally sleep. Quite annoying, as I had to start planning to get ready to move every time...

I had a theory it had something to do with paging out the contents of memory to disk to be able to restore the machine when you woke it up again. After a quick Google search I confirmed this and with the help of this article I was able to disable the paging function and gain quick sleep/wakeups again. Notice, that it does involve a risk of you loosing data if your battery runs out.

To disable paging out the memory issue the following command in your Terminal window:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

If you later want to return to the factorysetting just perform this command:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

You will have to enter your password, and your user must be an Administrator user for the above Terminal commands to work.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest

You do know what hibernate mode is don't you?It saves the RAM contents to disk, to turn the machine off to use zero power. So....... The more RAM, the more it needs to save to disk, the longer it takes! 1GB to 4GB would be 4 times increase in saving time

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest: Roland_*
You do know what hibernate mode is don't you? It saves the RAM contents to disk, to turn the machine off to use zero power. So....... The more RAM, the more it needs to save to disk, the longer it takes! 1GB to 4GB would be 4 times increase in saving time
A mix of sleep and hibernate might be a better option, there is room for both. This Mac OSX utility might provide the mix of missing funtions that you are looking for without the need for a commandline hack. http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html