OS X 10.4.7 on Dell E1705

Umpalumpa

8 posts in this topic

Sup folks,

I'm brand new to this forum, so take it easy on me :(

Talking to a Mac-loving friend of mine last night, and reading about the hacked OS X, i decided to give it a try on my Dell E1705 laptop. Got the 10.4.7 install disc, followed the guide on profit42.com.

Installation went fine, set up a partition after my Win Xp partition, installed on it with proper Intel patches, and booted into OS X. I get the welcome screen, I can select my language and Keyboad, and then it seems to crash / hang up. I got as far as the "Apple ID" window once, but no further.

I've read on another thread to turn off FastWrite in the Dell BIOS on Dell laptops or OS X will be super slow, but I can't find the FastWrite option in my BIOS and don't really know what it is. I'm thinking this could be what's causing my problem though ... cause the mouse cursor keeps turning, it's not crashed, it just seems to hang.

Any help would be appreciated! My hardware setup:

Dell E1705

Inte Core 2 Duo T7200

2GB 667Mhz RAM

80GB 5400RPM HDD

GeForce 7900GS

Thanks!

Umpa

Short update:

I booted with -x -v platform=X86PC, it ran through a bizzilion lines of code, then launched the graphical interface. Got the Welcome screen again, clicked ok several times, and then went back into text mode. There, I had the following error message:

.... blah blah... :Login Window Application Started

.... blah blah... :Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default bMacintosh-... instead

Any idea what's going on? does this have anything to do with the problem I'm having? If so, what boot option should I use to get into a text-mode where I can edit files around?

Thanks,

Umpa

Boot using -s to get to single user mode - a command line interface.

Type the following to mount the hard drive(s) - the message onscreen will remind you:

mount -uw /

Your OSX partition can be found at the following path:

/Volumes/(your-OSX-partition-name)

COOL COOL!

Don't ask me how, but I got it running ... I reinstalled the system 3 times, and eventually it ran. It now boots into Mac OS X .... Sweet!

Problems:

1. No sound: I've installed the SigmaTel patch, but there's no audio output listed. I'll google around, maybe I can find something about this. Feel free to post something if you have a solution.

2. Performance: HORRIBLE. It boots up pretty fast, but once I'm in OSX everything's pretty slow. Especially browsing in Safari.

3. Sudo user: What the heck is the password for sudo? I put in the password I created for my user, but it doesn't seem to work - unless I've already forgotten what my password was. I need the sudo user to change the resolution settings.

4. I'm a TOTAL Mac newbie, I'm eager to learn, but I have no clue about Mac OS. Like, where can I find system performance data, as in CPU usage, RAM usage, etc....

MAC OS looks great anyhow, native NTSF support is amazing, not even Linux has it that easy.

Thanks for this great forum and thanks to JaS for the hack.

Umpa

BTW: Ethernet AND Wireless (Broadcom and Dell Wireless 1390) are working OUT OF THE BOX - SWEET :)

1. No sound: I've installed the SigmaTel patch, but there's no audio output listed. I'll google around, maybe I can find something about this. Feel free to post something if you have a solution.

What is the model number of the audio.

2. Performance: HORRIBLE. It boots up pretty fast, but once I'm in OSX everything's pretty slow. Especially browsing in Safari.

Something is eating your cycles. Go to the Utilities folder (Go menu -> Utilities). Open Console. Click on "Logs". Look at the console.log for repetitive errors.

3. Sudo user: What the heck is the password for sudo? I put in the password I created for my user, but it doesn't seem to work - unless I've already forgotten what my password was. I need the sudo user to change the resolution settings.

If you just prepend "sudo" to a command like "sudo diskutil list", then the password is your password. If you invoke the root user, the password hasn't yet been set (there is a process), so the password is blank - hit Enter

4. I'm a TOTAL Mac newbie, I'm eager to learn, but I have no clue about Mac OS. Like, where can I find system performance data, as in CPU usage, RAM usage, etc....

Utilities folder, find Activity Monitor

MAC OS looks great anyhow, native NTSF support is amazing, not even Linux has it that easy.

NTFS support is read-only. No writing.

As for sound you can consider buying a pair of USB speakers and/or headphones, which the OS will recognize and get immediate sound from, until there is a solution to the Sigmatel audio problems that many members have problems with which coincidently includes myself...

• 1 month later...

I have a Dell too, DIMENSION 9150.

I installed 10.4.7 JaS Repack DVD. Boot direct, let it load, Ignore the No Entry Sign, it will eventually go through, installed with CUSTOMIZE option, enable whatever you need else enable all. Rebooted, direct into OSX and everything was fast and sweet in the 2D environment including Safari. I even downloaded Fizzball for my wife and it was so smooth, i bought the game for her. I only lack in GL now. Audio, Sigmatel default. I did not need to do any settings.

If you install MacVidia drivers, you get ALL resolutions. No GL for now. But when they do release the Coreimage and Quartz plug in, you can just add it in and it will work.