Working Apple I signed by Woz sold for $671K

Ed

5 posts in this topic

a789be582823ed44d463df36eb6416ee.jpg

This incredible Apple I computer in full working order was auctioned on the weekend for a whopping $671,400.

Reported by the Bits blog over at the NY Times, the buyer who scooped one of the very few remaining working examples of Apple's first ever computer "was a wealthy entrepreneur from the Far East, who wishes to remain anonymous".

Interestingly, this latest example of the Apple I was purchased in faulty condition for $40,000 earlier in the year, and its new owner cleverly fixed it and restored the unit to full working order before hopping on a plane to California and managing to get Steve Wozniak, Apple's only surviving co-founder, to sign it, ensuring maximum value when the bidding ended.

The video above shows the Apple I executing basic code and even producing ultra-low resolution "character art" of Apple's founders, Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs.

"The high prices paid for the machines seem to be explained by the combination of scarcity, a fascination with the early history of the computer age, and the mystique of Apple and its founders, Steven P. Jobs and Stephen G. Wozniak."

Click here to view the article

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...