New build for ML - it's been a while - questions

Maik-

5 posts in this topic

Hi forum,

I'm a bit conservative with my hackintosh habits - I buy a 2nd hand computer w. compatible specs, set it up to run perfectly, and then hesitate to upgrade or change anything for a long time, as I use this day in day out. So I'm still running 10.5.8 on a C2Duo, but now its time for a hardware upgrade. Here's the new one I just bought:

- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P

X58/ICH10R / LGA1366 / ALC889A / Realtek 8111D

- i7 920

- 6144MB DDR3-1333

- 512MB HIS HD 4350 Silence GDDR2

- be quiet! Sys-Power 550W 80Plus

So I'm reading through the tutorials again, I assume chameleon is still the go-to choice fot a bootloader?

Will I run into trouble having only my 10.5.8 machine at hand for the setup? ( Chameleon wizard doesn't run for example, but I still should be able to get smbios etc. elsewhere until the new one runs?)

Can I use a HD bigger than 1 TB?

The main Question:

Right now I have chameleon installed to a usb stick (internal adapter), my computer is set to boot from it, all modification (DSDT, extras, extentions etc) live there. Kind of EFI-X-style, but I thinks its the perfect setup, as the HD remains vanilla and can be changed to a different machine, and when messing with the hackintosh setup I have a copy of the boot stick at hand so I can return to the last working state.

Is this possible with 10.8 too?

Finally, the graphics card is silent but powerless and doesn't seem to work very well w. OSX - would an upgrade to GT 430 (passive) make sense?

Thanks!

would an upgrade to GT 430 (passive) make sense?
If plan to use 10.8, then yes, it is. Most newer Nvidia cards are now supported in 10.8 by the official Nvidia drivers.

So I'm reading through the tutorials again, I assume chameleon is still the go-to choice fot a bootloader?
Chameleon is still valid, or you may try Clover if your MB has UEFI.

Will I run into trouble having only my 10.5.8 machine at hand for the setup?
No. But you may need to do all the customization manually. It's not that hard, trust me.

Can I use a HD bigger than 1 TB?
Why not?

Is this possible with 10.8 too?
Yes, it is. Most guides now assume that you make installation from an USB flash drive (i.e. OS X image is restored to an USB flash drive along with Chameleon and all other necessary things).

Thanks!

Regarding the HD size, I'm reading things about the system partition being bigger than 1TB causes trouble with chameleon, is this outdated information?

I can't seem to find a post that verifies this being fixed.

Take a look at DigitalDreamers Hackinstaller script (long post in Tutorials). The first post in that thread contains the latest version and a good explanation of what it contains and how to use. The script will built a USB installer that will boot your machine from which you can install the OS.