• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
Sign in to follow this  
Drag0nflamez

Toshiba Satellite L650-12Z

1 post in this topic

I have a Toshiba Satellite L650-12Z, which has the following specs:

Intel Core i3-330M (2.13 GHz, 2 cores)

3GB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD5145 (actually a slightly overclocked HD4570)

320 GB HDD

Realtek RTL8191SE

In theory it could run Snow Leopard, but I haven't gotten it to work yet. I got the $29 DVD from a friend who upgraded to Mountain Lion (his Mac originally came with Leopard). First I tried the OSx86 ModCD from this thread, which doesn't boot on that system (However, it does boot on my desktop, and recognizes the Snow Leopard DVD). Then I tried putting Chameleon on an USB drive (which never has any booting issues), which does boot, but when I insert the Snow Leopard DVD and F5 it, it says bootmgr is missing. Then I changed the Chameleon config to allow me to refresh optical drives. So then F5 works, so I put my Snow Leopard DVD back in and F5, and the drive simply doesn't spin up. (Drive does work, since it does run a Windows 7 DVD). I can burn CD's, but I'm usually careful with what I burn. Also, the Chameleon USB drive also doesn't spin up my desktop's DVD drive.

My Chameleon USB config looks like this;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>cpus=1 busratio=13</string>
<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Rescan Prompt</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Are there any other things (bootloaders etc) which I can try to get at least the SL installer up and running?

I do have a Snow Leopard virtual machine available. Also, dualbooting isn't necessary (although having the option later on couldn't hurt).