vka3@yahoo.com

Building Triple boot machine from scratch

3 posts in this topic

I see several articles on internet for triple boot but none address following issues. Which machine to buy to start?

Should one buy a PC/Windows 8 machine (comes with Windows 8 recovery disks - not full Windows 8) OR buy Macbook Pro with MacOS X mountain lion? Since windows 7 onwards, one gets ONLY recovery disks and NOT full Windows OS. Windows XP PCs used to get full distribution. Same is true for MacOS which can not be moved to another machine.

Which boot loader to use? i.e. rEFlt or Gnu Grub (2) or Apple bootcamp? Which disk partition util to use : gparted/gptsync/windows disk util?

Then I need step by step steps to start building triple boot. Assuming starting from Windows 8 PC or Macbook Pro laptop.

Thanks.

Advertisement

one gets ONLY recovery disks

Irrelevant, just torrent / buy the OEM disk for the version you have a key for and use that.

As is always the advice of this forum, the best Laptop to install OS X on is an Macbook, Macbook Pro, or Macbook Air. Windows laptops are not designed for OS X and typically don't make great hackbooks.

If you have the money to do so you should buy a macbook and use bootcamp, there's many of guides for this on the internet - not that you need one, it's a simple process.

i like my desktop with 3ple boot Win7, linux and 2nd disk OSX only.

independent booting of each hard disk... i boot windows with linux added . u can add osx too with easybcd 2.2

however i added osx to linux menu direct booting so chameleon does its job. rather easybcd skips chameleon from what i saw.

Windows menu with linux.

Linux menu with OS X custom added to boot chameleon not mach kernel.

a cheap board u can try is Asus p8z77-v LX

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By fusion71au
      For those wanting to try Windows 10, I thought I would create a short guide on how to create a Clover/UEFI Windows 10 installer with Rufus and clean install.  This guide is tailored for legacy BIOS machines but should also work in systems with native UEFI firmware.

Prerequisites
      1.  Access to OSX and Windows to run Rufus and install Clover
      2.  Install Rufus: Download from here
      3.  Download the Windows 10 insider preview ISO (build 10074) from here. 
           Edit 29/7/15 RTM build 10240 available!:  Download MediaCreationTool.

Making the UEFI Windows Installer
      1.  In Windows, Insert a 4GB or larger USB and start Rufus with the following settings

Partition scheme and target system device = MBR for UEFI computer File System FAT32 2.  Click the “Create a bootable disk using ISO image” checkbox and the CDROM icon to browse/choose your downloaded ISO
      3.  Click Start & OK to burn the image to the USB.  Notice the USB takes on the name of the original ISO.

4.  After the image has been burned to the USB, copy bootx64.efi from the /efi/boot folder of the Windows ISO/DVD into /efi/microsoft/boot.  Rename the file to "bootmgfw.efi" and also rename cdboot.efi to cdboot.bak.

For Windows 7, you need to extract bootmgfw.efi from "install.wim" eg using 7-Zip, open the iso and navigate to \sources\install.wim\1\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi and copy to efi\microsoft\boot on the USB.  
      Installing Legacy Clover (for legacy BIOS machines to boot the installer in UEFI mode)
      1.  Install Clover onto the USB drive (in OSX) with the “use alternative booting PBR” option ticked as shown below.

Note - you can also install legacy Clover onto the USB in Windows using the Bootice program - see post#23
      2.  Copy the config.plist, DSDT/SSDT.aml file(s) which are specific to your system into the Clover folder
          - Put config.plist in /EFI/CLOVER directory

- Put DSDT.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
          - Put FakeSMC.kext and other kexts required in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.x (where x is your version of OSX)

Installation of Windows 10
      1.  Create free space on the target hard drive for Windows 10.  This can be done in OSX using Disk Utility or in Windows with Disk Management/Diskpart.exe.
      2.  It is recommended to temporarily disconnect all hard drives except the target hard drive when installing or updating Windows 10.
      3.  Boot the computer with the Installer USB, pressing <F12> (or whatever your system’s BIOS boot selection key is) to choose the USB and then pressing the number <6> key when you see Clover’s flashing underscore
      4.  At the Clover Main Menu, choose “Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from your_USB_name” ---> start the Windows 10 installer GUI

5.  Follow the rest of the steps in this guide - http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Notes
      Choose the “Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)” option and just select the Unallocated Space for the installation —> the correct partitions will be automatically set up At the first reboot, boot to the USB again but at the Clover Main Menu, select “Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI” As the final step, don’t forget to install Clover on the hard drive . Major version upgrades through Windows Update (as opposed to a clean install) may overwrite the bootsector so legacy Clover might need to be re-installed.  I recommend clean installing instead of letting Windows update perform an upgrade. If you run Windows 10 or 8 with Windows 7, you should turn off "Windows Hybrid Boot" to avoid chkdsk running every time you change from booting Windows 8/10 to Windows 7. Chameleon/Clover Emergency Boot Disk
      As an added bonus, by adding the attached Chameleon boot file to the root of the USB, you can use the installer as an emergency boot disk for Clover or Chameleon:

Set your BIOS to boot first from USB ---> when you see the flashing underscore, press <1> to boot with Chameleon or <6> to boot with Clover .
      Chameleon v2737_boot1.zip
      Chameleon v2795_boot1.zip
    • By Braixen
      So recently, I was unable to use Rufus to create a bootable USB for Windows 7 or 8. It's a Sandisk Cruzer Edge, if you're wondering. No matter what I did, it just wouldn't boot to the installer. I tried USB 2.0 ports, different boot methods (UEFI & regular MBR boot for BIOS), using Clover to boot the USB, but nothing could get me to the Windows installer. No UEFI option is shown (unless I use Clover, where it just crashes when choosing cdboot and goes back to Clover when using mgrboot) and choosing the BIOS-compatible option tells me to insert a proper boot device. I figured it was the memory stick as it was the only thing I never changed.

I'm just wondering which flash drives do you use for Windows specifically? I'm not really bothered by the speed or cost of it, rather if it's a reliable product and if it functions on a USB 3.0 drive. Probably means I'll need a USB 3.0 flash drive though.
    • By lemmyc
      Hi,
      I have Yosemite running well with Clover bootloader. Clover is installed in an EFI partition.
      I see my Windows OS at the Clover start screen, but none of the Windows options boot into the Windows 8 OS. I get a black screen or a logo which just sits there.
      Windows 8 boots fine if I change the device boot order in bios.

Looking at other posts, I'm guessing that this is because Windows is not installed in UEFI mode.
      I don't know enough about this to know if it is fixable in my case. The motherboard is quite old - see my sig.

How should I go about enabling Windows booting with Clover?

Here's the output from diskutil list:

/dev/disk0
         #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
         0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
         1:               Windows_NTFS Untitled                500.1 GB   disk0s1
      /dev/disk1
         0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *512.1 GB   disk1
         1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
         2:                  Apple_HFS MacOS                   511.3 GB   disk1s2
         3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3
      /dev/disk2
         0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk2
         1:               Windows_NTFS Media                   1.0 TB     disk2s1
      /dev/disk3
         0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk3
         1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
         2:                  Apple_HFS MacBackup               499.8 GB   disk3s2

disk0 is Windows 8, disk1 is Yosemite.

I have also attached my Clover config.plist

Many thanks for advice.
    • By WubaDee
      I have recently completed an installation of Yosemite with the Clover boot loader. I have Windows 8 installed on an SSD that I can boot into by selecting it from the startup options.

My problem is that when I boot into Clover, I can see the drive, and Clover says "Boot Windows from Legacy HD" but when I select it a Windows logo appears, and freezes immediately.

I was under the impression that Windows 8 does not use legacy by default but instead uses UEFI. I was hoping I could get some help with understanding the setup I have, whether or not I have Windows 8 in legacy or UEFI mode. And then from there what I should do to be bale to boot into Windows from Clover.

I have looked around this forum as well as done some searches but I was unable to find anyone with the same problem as me. If anyone could help or direct me to a resource that will help I would greatly appreciate it. I can post my setup if it is needed to determine a solution.
    • By Noggli
      Hello

I'm trying to switch from chameleon as boot loader to clover, but somehow it won't work. I'm using a Windows 8/Mavericks dual boot system and I'm trying to boot into Windows 8 with Clover, but to no avail. I see the Windows 8 logo for a millisecond, then the hackintosh just reboots. I can boot into Mavericks, though. Mavericks and Windows 8 are on two different SSDs. Windows is installed in UEFI-mode.

What to do? Any help is greatly appreciated

Greetz
      N