Editing Files in (-S) User Mode

macus

7 posts in this topic

I've recently been working with my system and trying to get my ATI Radeon 1900XTX to function with Jas OSX 10.4.7

My Spec is

Asus A8R32-MVP Delux

ATI Radeon 1900XTX Powercolor

2 GB DDR Corsair Xpert

Creative XFI Fatality

Onboard Sound ACL882 Realtec (Sound Works on Mac OSX with no Problem)

80GB IDE (Installed on this Partition)

2x 320 GB Western Digital Sata2 Raid 0 (Windows XP Pro x64)

74 GB Western Digital Raptor

I'm new to the Mac's myself and command line so im still learning as i go along. So i can be classed as a Noob.

Basic Install works fine for me without a problem. I can't use the ATI patch that comes along on the CD (JaS 10.4.7 DVD) as it does not boot into the OS it will simply sit in (-V) mode and display Login Screen Loaded in TEXT)

So i asked a few people about this and they said it been proven to be more successful to install in Manualy instead of using the installer. So i've been tryin that the past 2 days on and off without success. The main thing that annoys me is the fact that i have to reinstall my whole OS as i don't know how to edit files in -S mode as it keeps tellin me its a read only system. Is there any way to access the terminal and edit files the same way as in the OS with ease? or is there any other commands to edit a file.

Any help at all would be great

Thanks!

Why are you trying to do it in single user mode?

Do a basic install of OSX. Then follow the Boris link in my sig for updating your video files. Posting 1 gives a manual method using the Terminal. Posting 3 gives you an installer. They give slightly different results.

as single user mode is all i can access. when i said i basic install i meant from the 10.4.7 JaS dvd sorry just without patch's and running my card as a VGA compatible. I've been using the Manual install as its meant to prove better results as i've been told. I'm not confident with Mac's so i was unsure in parts. I have put a post about this in the Topic anyhow just waiting on the reply... Thanks for your reply though :P

Mark

But if you do a basic install from JaS 10.4.7 without patches and boot with your card running as VGA compatible and get to the desktop, then you follow the Manual guide I pointed to in the Boris link.

If you do a basic install and can't get to the desktop, then you have other problems you should be dealing with before messing with the video card.

Thats Exactly what i have done... just that i edited the last file incorrectly to land me in this position. Thats why i need to re-edit the file or reinstall. I thought some method of re-editing the file would be quicker than a whole reinstall. Sorry to waste your time Rammjet on silly problems just need the help thats all.

Thanks

just that i edited the last file incorrectly to land me in this position. Thats why i need to re-edit the file or reinstall.

You see, this is the first time you have said that you screwed up a file and need to correct it in order to boot.

All other times you just said you were trying to do the manual method and kept asking how to do it in single user mode. Which doesn't make any sense until you explain that you screwed up a file and now can't boot with it.

As I said in the other thread, your options are:

Just boot your install DVD to the first screen of the installer. Go to the Utilities menu (where Disk Utility is) and select Terminal and edit your file.

In single user mode, I would expect that maybe:

mount -uw /
nano /Volumes/(your-OSX-volume-name)/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin/Contents/Info.plist