A bit of success (and more of failure) on installing via USB

Guest jaceleon

3 posts in this topic

Guest jaceleon

I have managed to create a bootable USB of Hazard's 10.6.2 Intel/AMD iso.

Did it by partitioning my USB (8GB) into 2 partitions under MBR, the first one being 512 mb (where I put the grldr,menu.lst and tboot) and the other is a restored disk of the said iso.

And voila! That did the trick to a bootable USB version of the OS! the best part is, I could always replace the 2nd partition with any .iso I could restore.

but I am having a problem on this thinkpad G40....

It always goes install failed. when I try booting it again from the USB installer I would hang, no matter what option I put. I believe that it is quite dependent of my Leopard installation, so of course, once it's gone, poof.

I always get to a kernel panic due to AppleIntelPIIXATA, which makes it quite unconvincing for me, due to the fact that I am a IDE user ( I've read about it being for SATAs of laptops). well of course with install failed, I expect that I don't even have a MBR to boot from, but no, at least tboot from my USB is still letting me boot into my Windows partition by chainloading to my Windows thru the PC-EFI bootloader.

Currently reinstalling Leopard. But I wish someone could shed light as to why I always get a install failed on this from USB. Perhaps I should try burning it to a DVD?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

can you explain how you made the bootable USB disk more carefully.  I've been hunting everywhere on how to do this

@jaceleon   Please please please tell us how you did this.

Where did you get those files you put in the 512MB partition?

And what program did you use to convert the ISO into the larger partition?