Netgear WAG511 Atheros AR5001-0000-0000

chibi1

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just wanna share my little experience about the AR5001-0000-0000 Atheros Chipset on 10.4.7.

First of all, this is just for the PCMCIA cards.

1- Plug your card, then boot the computer

2- Next to the hour (up and right of your screen), you must have a new icon

3- Click on it: you can see the chipset reference of the card AR5001-0000-0000

4- Just copy the attachment that I put bellow to /System/Library/Extensions

5- repair permissions

6- reboot

7- go to Network on your System Preferences and enjoy the "New Airport Interface"

Good Luck

Chibi1

Atheros_AR5001.zip

Greetings,

I have a DLink DWL-G630, which reads itentically to your NetGear card on the PC card list, so I figured your drivers that would work with it, but when I installed your files, nothing happens.

Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot for any and all help you can provide.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

:thumbsup_anim: worked perfectly on my ibm thinkpad T30! THANKS SO MUCH! only thing that doesn't show up is the airport status in the menubar, but that'll probably come up after reboot. I'm using the dwl-g630 btw. thanks!

:EDIT I check the box for the Airport to be displayed in the manubar, and it didn't work, but after i closed System Prefs I opened it again and checkt he same box, works now! YAY!

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
same thing happened to me as mformurder, it boots to a black rectangle and my PowerBook won't start. Ugh! Can you suggest anything? I did the steps as outlined above...

I'm betting it won't work (I did the steps, too) until I figured out that the people replying that this worked all have one thing in common: MacBooks (or Hackintoshes). Those of us with PPC Macs are SOL.

So far My Atheros card (a DLink AirPlusG DWL-G630) has only worked in Fedora 9 (but the screen was partially garbled) and SuSe (made the machine crawl, even with 512MB of RAM!) on my PowerBook G3. It had worked in Ubuntu perfectly, but a distro upgrade/X11 upgrade hosed me (so much for newer is better). I was hoping it would work in OS X, but the answer's not here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
I did aas suggested. Now my powerbook does not boot any more... Obviously the drivers make the system crash, every time at startup I only get a your system needs to shut down dialog now :D

A REAL Powerbook? Made by Apple? You should never use kexts for OX X 86 PC's on genuine Apple hardware. It can cause irreparable damage to your system like what you're describing. Try using Safe Boot (hold Command + X I think) and remove the kexts manually from the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder. Now if that doesn't work (you can't boot or whatever) try using Target Disk Mode. Connect your Powerbook to another Apple computer using a firewire. Start up the other computer while holding Command + T and it should show something along the lines of the Powerbooks hard drive (if not then try booting the Powerbook in Target Disk Mode too). Hope this helps :)