Question about upgrading video card on a gigabyte board

jbolted

4 posts in this topic

I have an older gigabyte board ana GA-EP45-UD3P board which you know uses DDR2 memory. will I be able to use the newer video card with DDR3 on them and have them work? Has anyone had success? Or is this a complete waste of time on my part.

I was looking at the NVidea GeForce 630 with DDR3 and 2 GB of ram on it. It says its a PCI express 2.o X16 128bit DDR3

Or does someone have a recomendation for a video card upgrade that would be better. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but like to play them from time to time. My main reason for upgrading my video card is I suspect that I can't purchase ML from the store becuase of the card I have in there. I could be wrong but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade it anyway..

Thanks for any suggestions...my hardware specs are in my signature..

Rampage Dev... Yes a very good suggestion Thank you for that, same price range but a much better gpu. MY only concern was with the PCIexpress numbering. Like my board says PCI express 1, most cards say PCI express 2, 2.1, or 3 now. I just want to make sure it will fit in my PCI slot and work. Does anyone know the resoning behind the differrent numbering of the PCI slots on the motherboards? Is it a speed isuue that it allows, or a fitting isssue, or are they all backwards compatable? I'm not at all concerned about the card taking up two spaces. The only need I have right now is for the video card anyway and the GA-EP45-UD3P as you probably already know has plenty of expansion room. I love the board my hackintosh has been running problem free for 2 years now using snow leo. I've been pulling my hair out of my head what ever is left of it trying to get ML on it though. really just for the software security updates and the java updates, or I would be fine staying with snow leo, which runs perfect. Plus I'm starting to see other apps coming out that will only run on lion of ML...