Networking two computers together and thier applications

Arez

5 posts in this topic

Basically I want to set up my server so that I can store all my apps and games on it, and run them on my laptop, how would I do this and what would I need.

I'm sure I could explain that better but I'm not really sure how to. And I think this was the right place to put this, but if not, I'm sorry.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Do I need to explain in more detail? Or do you guys just not like me because I lurk more then I post?

• 2 months later...

Don't know for sure, but sounds like you need an actual Server OS. Like Windows 2003 Server or maybe (never used it) Mac OS X Server. They can be setup as an Application Server, allowing all clients to use the remote applications.

Might be a easier (and cheaper!) way out there, but this is the only thing I can think of.

Nd

Don't know for sure, but sounds like you need an actual Server OS. Like Windows 2003 Server or maybe (never used it) Mac OS X Server. They can be setup as an Application Server, allowing all clients to use the remote applications.

Regular OSX will work just fine.

If the server is running OSX, go to Sharing and turn on Personal File Sharing and Windows File Sharing and configure them. (Can turn on Personal Web Sharing and use web server too). That way, Windows and Linux machines can connect using SAMBA. OSX also supports NFS for Linux. Macs can connect using SAMBA or AFS (AppleFileSharing).

If the server is running Windows, all clients can connect through SAMBA.

If the server is running Linux, turn on sharing via SAMBA. All clients can connect through SAMBA

On an OSX client machine, the shared server will appear in Network - you can see this in the left pane of any Finder window or in Finder -> Go menu -> Network --or-- Go menu -> Connect to Server -> Browse. You can drag a server icon to the Desktop to make it always available. There are other utilities to manage these as well.

If you drag the icon to the Desktop, it should stay. If not try dragging an alias (shortcut) of the server - start your drag and then hold down the Command + Option keys before dropping the icon on the Desktop. This makes an alias.

Command and Option are the two keys immediately to the left and/or right of the space bar.