Help!I Cant see my harddrives in disk utility!

Liakos

9 posts in this topic

Well i have a clevo d870p hyperthreading with ati 9700 mobility 256mb and when i boot the Jas dvd and come to the point where i have to select the disk to install i open the disk utility and cant see nothing!Only my dvd rom with the image inside!

I also did it via vmware and had the same results!

my harddisks are ide 40gb and 80 gb the big one is empty tried ntfs tried partitioned and nothing

Can anybody help???

(i did try the jas with a vaio fs series and worked just fine)

If the large hard disk is in a media bay or something, OSX probably won't see it because it doesn't have a driver to read a media bay on your computer. The hard drive needs to be on the same chain as the DVD drive.

Perhaps you can move the data from the 40GB to the 80GB drive and install on the 40 GB drive.

Or perhaps you can install one of the drives in the Vaio and install it there and then move it back.

well i would do the thing with the vaio but i dont have it anymore...

how can i see if they are in the same chain as the dvd drive...it is the only one being recognised

i just have the dvd and there are 2 sockets for ide 2.5" hdds

as i have seen there is a general problem with clevos

Ok i am having a similar problem I cannont get the OSX 10.4.6 install to recgonize my Ultra ATA disk which is where i want to install OSX. I have tried all sorts of different things including doing what the install guides call for, different kinds of partitions, unpartitioned etc. I disconnect my SATA drives when i am trying to install OSX and all that shows up is the DVD drive.

The Ultra ATA is a spare drive and i want to istall OSX as the primary boot for this drive.

Specs in sig.

Make sure the hard drive is on the same cable as the DVD drive. Set the hard drive to master and the DVD drive to slave using the jumpers, not cable select.

Use a Windows or Linux utility to format the drive as FAT32. This will establish the correct MBR partition scheme. Use that utility to set the partition for OSX to "active".

When you start the OSX installation, go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. You will be formatting your OSX partition. On the left side, you will see the hard drive listed with one partition listed below it. Click on the partition (not the hard drive) and on the right side, click the Erase tab. Be sure it is set to MacOS Extended Journaled and click the Erase button. Then quit Disk Utility.

In the installer, select your new OSX partition. When you get to the screen where you click the Install button, first click the Customize button and select packages for your computer. Click the little arrow in front of the patches category. Select Intel packages, not AMD. Select SSE2 or SSE3, not both, depending upon the capability of your processor. Select the Combo Update to get the latest OS version. Select other packages only if you are sure your computer needs them.

So just formatting the whole drive as HFS+ doesn't work?

Apple uses a different partition scheme.

On a PC, BIOS expects the MBR partition scheme.

On an Intel Mac, EFI expects the GUID partition scheme.

On a PPC Mac, Open Firmware expects an Apple partition scheme.

Since the BIOS/EFI/Open Firmware are looking for that intial boot info to be in a specific place and specific format, you need to provide it the partition scheme it expects. Otherwise you will end up with partition errors, missing OS errors, missing boot file errors, etc.