Building a computer.

9 posts in this topic

Hi there, My name's Jack, and I'm new to the forums, anywho.. Right now, I'm building a computer with my dad. (I'm 14 by the way) Currently, my own computer is a Dell Inspiron 1200, with 256 MB of Ram, and a 30 Gig harddrive. Each of us will have our own harddrive for the new computer. Can you choose which harddrive you can boot off of? To clarify my question, I'll have a harddrive with osx86 on it, and my dad will have Windows XP Professional. When booting the computer, is it possible to choose the harddrive to boot off of? Also, does anybody have any suggestions of types of hardware I should use? I'm thinking 2 Gig of RAM, and an 80 GB hard drive for myself. Also, is there any sound cards supported by osx86? I've been looking around the site, and haven't found any help with that. Thanks very much!

-Jack :pope:

Guest bikedude880

Get ready for the wiki attack...

WIKI ATTACK! <--This will answer most of your questions.

As far as I know, all motherboards that are out there can be told to boot a specific drive. 2GB of ram will be more than sufficient, an 80GB hard drive will hold you out for a while (I would recommend a larger hard drive as I have filled 100GB of space with files.) As for sound cards, I am using the iMic USB sound card right out of the box with no problems. For the motherboard, I would reccomend something that has ICH7 and GMA950 chipsets, as they are well supported.

Good luck!

Thanks very much! =)

I have one more question, I already have a case for my computer, do cases only support one kind of motherboard? Or is it univeral? I've never built a computer before, and I'm not the best with hardware. Thanks again.

Guest bikedude880

If you are talking about the one listed in my signature, than yeah, you can get it on Newegg. Exactly where i got it from. ASUS and Intel boards are going to be your best option for most compatible.

Could anybody answer my other question though? Can I have one hard drive boot from mac os x, and the other from Windows XP? So I can choose which HDD/OS I want to boot from? Thanks! As I mentioned earlier, my dad wants his own HDD with windows XP, and I want my HDD with mac os X. Thanks in advance

-Jack