• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
Sign in to follow this  
macwunder

NIC MAC address from old machine

1 post in this topic

Oops... Wrong forum. Should be in Lion! Mods?

Here's a strange one! For me anyway...

I had a Dell Optiplex GX620, I turned into a hackintosh. The NIC never showed anything for the ethernet hardware address than 00-00-00-00-00-00, so I had to run an AppleScript every boot to set it to the MAC of the built-in NIC (simple one that ran a simple ifconfig command). The MAC never showed in the Network Utility or Preferences, though, but ifconfig and my router saw it.

Well, I built a new machine - Gigabyte H61M-DS2 (v1.2), 3.2 GHz i5 quad core, GeForce 8400GS video... OS X Lion installed to user profile 'install', then I used migration assistant to move my user profile to the new machine. Things have been going great, and I love the faster machine. BUT... There is always one of those...

I loaded Linux on to the old Dell, and things on the network went flaky. The Dell was getting the same IP as my new Hackintosh via DHCP. That's strange! What I find out is, my new Hackintosh has the MAC address of the Dell's NIC, even though I trashed the AppleScript that used to set the MAC on startup. I can't find where this new machine is getting that MAC address from.

What's even more strange?? I boot the machine from a live cd of CentOS 5, and it still has the MAC address of the Dell machine. What the heck??

Anyone point me in a productive direction? I'm pulling what hair I have left out.

Many thanks!

Jeff

Edited by macwunder