Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

Advice on building a hexacore i7 for video + animation

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the world of OSx86, and I could do with a little encouragement that I'm doing the right thing.

I'm a graphic designer and motion graphics guy. My work involves heavy use of Photoshop, After Effects and Cinema 4D. I

i'd love a bit of advice as to whether my system components are going to be compatible for OSx86 . Parts list here, and also attached is a complete list of system parts inc. fans CPU coolers etc. (ignore the 550 on this)

Intel Core i7 3930K, 3.2GHz, Hex Core + Hyperthreading (OC'd to 4.2GHz)

Asus P9X79 Motherboard

32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP, DDR3, 1600MHz

256GB Samsung 830 Series, SSD

3TB Seagate Barracuda, SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm

EVGA GTX 560 Ti Superclocked

The system is coming pre-built. I've just got a few queries:

The system is coming Overclocked to 4.2GHz. Is there any risk to the processor by running a hackintosh? The guys there know their stuff about over clocking so I've got no worries about Windows, but would it still be as stable on a hackintosh?

Performance wise how does a hackintosh benchmark compared to the same system running the default windows 7 OS?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By blackosx
      Here’s a script I wrote last year for creating font image files for both Chameleon’s and Clover’s GUI.
        Notes - Clover works best with monospaced fonts, where as Chameleon can use both monospaced and proportionally spaced fonts. - Both monospaced and proportional fonts can be used (for Clover, r3216 and up is required). - While this script does it’s stuff mathematically, sometimes the best results (optically) may only be achieved when making/adjusting the font files manually.   Requirements ImageMagick   Installing can be done using homebrew Once Homebrew is installed, you can run the following command from the Terminal:
      brew install imagemagick * Note: There are other ways to install ImageMagick but I've found only Homebrew does it simply with all required delegates. If you choose to install ImageMagick using other means (package installers, compile from source) then YMMV.   createFont script Usage: ./createFont.sh -f[path/to/font] -s[size] <options>   Help can be displayed using -h option: ./createFont.sh -h   Please supply a minimum of the font and size. In this case a PNG image will be generated with the text in white on a transparent background.   Options are:     -a                      Alpha transparency for text. Value 0 thru 1                             * Some versions of ImageMagick fail to render text                               with this option turned on.     -b                      Background Colour. As three comma separated values                             Red, Green and Blue. [0-255],[0-255],[0-255]                             Note: background defaults to transparent.     -c                      Colour of text. As three comma separated values                             Red, Green and Blue. [0-255],[0-255],[0-255]                             Note: text colour defaults to white.                             Some colour examples:                             Red:           205,0,0                             Dark Blue:     35,43,148                             Light Blue:    93,192,244                             Bright Green:  91,226,81                             Dark Green:    24,135,16                             Bright Yellow: 219,221,47       -e                      Effects                             ----------------------------------------------------         shading             Enable single colour shading effect.         shadow              Enable drop shadow effect (type 1 fonts only).       -f                      Font. Either installed font name OR full file path.     -h                      Display help.     -i                      List installed fonts available to ImageMagick.     -l                      Leading (Space between text lines) +/-16 (type 2)       -r                      Reduced Character Set (Type 2 only)                             ----------------------------------------------------         a                   Do not include ANSI characters (32-127)         c                   Do not include cyrillic characters.       -s                      Size in pixels. Expects value between 6 and 255       -t                      Type                             ----------------------------------------------------         1                   Font type for Chameleon (Default).         2                   Font type for Clover.       -o                      Disable optimisation of final image using pngquant.     -p                      Padding in pixels. Space between characters (type 1)     -v                      Display version of this script.     -x                      Disable anti aliasing.   The script is not perfect and ImageMagick can do way more so if desired, feel free to improve the script but please post any updates here.   Examples   For a Chameleon (type 1) font: ./createFont.sh -t1 s14 -f/Users/blackosx/Library/Fonts/mplus-1c-black.ttf -b 100,150,24 Made this image:

For a Clover (type 2) font:
      ./createFont.sh -t2 -s14 -f/Users/blackosx/Library/Fonts/mplus-1c-black.ttf -b 100,150,24 Made this image

Note regarding sizes   - Keep font sizes sensible as too large will be unusable.   Here are two images, one using 28pt and the other using 16pt . Both of these are too large for ideal use. Note: These are using a Clover revision before 3216 where proportional spacing is not working properly. I will update these images soon.   Update: to v0.87 - Added extra glyphs for radio buttons and checkboxes as per slice's request. (Note: Requires font containing those glyphs). - Included the use of imagemagik's X Constant Image option to help overcome Sherlock's issue.   Update: to v0.88 - Apply X Constant Image option fix for type 2 fonts, to type 1 fonts.  (Thanks for the note cecekpawon. I Finally got to it  ). createFont_v0.88.zip  
    • By scottbastedo
      I am going to be building a hackintosh or buying and iMac in a few weeks, and I need some advice.
      I will be using:
      Premiere Pro (mostly) FCP X (when desired by clients and prepping for teaching editing) After Effects (infrequently) Photoshop (frequently) AVID (rarely) MAYA (looking to learn) My main concern is compatibility with software, I have the patience to build a system, but not to figure out what isn't work with my production software once in a stable OS X environment. Also I would prefer Thunderbolt, but I can live without it.

Once stable with the OS, how much work has to go into fixing other software issues?

With a student discount, I can get the following iMac ($2,878 with tax and shipping):
      27" iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2X8GB) 256GB Flash Storage NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB 3 year AppleCare I would add another 16GB of ram at a later date. I would also either use 56 GB as a Win 8.1 OS drive or figure out an external solution.

Here was my planned hackintosh build ($2,562):
      27-Inch LED-Lit IPS Professional Graphics Monitor (ASUS PA279Q) EVGA GTX770 4GB Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H Z87 Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHz Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III (OS 10.9.1) Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III (Win 8.1) Corsair Graphite Series Black 600T Mid-Tower Computer Case EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G 80PLUS Gold Certified ARCTIC MX-4 Carbon-Based Thermal Compound Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
    • By toom30
      I wanted to share with you guys what I have found....it is called Flame Painter - http://flame-painter.com
      It seems to be quite funny stuff and it makes you feel like an artist when you just simply move a mouse on the screen.
      And the best thing is that there is a free online version, too - here is a link - http://www.escapemot.../index.html#top
      I don't think I am any talented in drawing, but I am so proud of myself creating my avatar there.
      So, what do you think about this app?