InsanelyMac Forum
machstem

OSx 10.5 install on Lion-Fusion 4.1.1

Hi all,

Love the idea of having to pass a quiz to post. :) Hopefully I don't noob my question too much.

I followed and tried the guides I have found online, and then I fell on here to install OSx on VMWare Fusion.

My main purpose is that I have an older app I want to run (Homeworld 2), but because it requires a PowerPC, only 10.5/10.6 will support it. (my legit installs)

I have the retails disc for 10.6, but the original install disc for my MBP for 10.5...and now that I am writing this, that might be my issue...but who knows. :)

Basically, I have the following:

OSx 10.7 Lion

Fusion 4.1.1

Model Name: MacBook Pro
 Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
 Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
 Number of Processors: 1
 Total Number of Cores: 2
 L2 Cache: 6 MB
 Memory: 8 GB
 Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
 Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B05
 SMC Version (system): 1.42f4

My install disc is the disc that came with my laptop, version 10.5.

I followed a guide here: http://blog.michael....are-fusion-4-0/

I didn't end up making it work, but it did give me a better idea as to why I can't load it natively.

From the comments, I came here and I have since tried and retried to make it work, but after having registered, I did realized that I was attempting to run the install from a 10.5 disc that is for my MBP. Could this be the reason why I can't install it under VMWare Fusion 4.1.1 ?

My only solution other than VMWare Fusion is to dual-boot into 10.5 (haven't looked at guides for this yet), but I imagine that can work. Obviously running 10.5 virtual would be better, if only to provide me with my game over the virtual session.

Anyway, when I attempted my install, I see the Apple logo boot screen, the little spinning icon, then the Apple logo turns into a Circle+X and just hangs there are the install.

The guide here seems to focus so much more on VMWare Workstation, etc. Can someone link me to a guide specifically for Fusion 4.1.1, or at least confirm if it works?

One thing I did notice, is that VMWare Fusion had 10.7 as an option, after running your patch. It still didn't seem to go.

Thanks to any and all help!

Advertisement

I think the hardware-specific restore discs will boot and give you a message as such and what you're seeing is it not finding a device to boot from. The guide you posted said something about using the physical DVD drive, is that what you're using? You could try a .dmg too and see if that works better, but it seems like something is not set up right to get it to see the disc.

But that's your first problem, I think the fact that it's a restore disc will be your next problem. Your best bet is probably to use the 10.6 DVD to get rosetta rolling in Snow Leopard, with the non-server hack in that guide.

However, virtualizing emulation without GPU acceleration might result in a pretty lousy experience for you when you do get it working...

I am doing this first and foremost for the experience and the learning. The game itself I might be able to find a copy for PC and then use something like wine to run it.

At first, I was running the DVD in drive, then I made a R/W image, touched the ServerVersion.plist file in the image, chmod 044 on the image, then mount as my bootable disc. That's where eventually the Apple logo disappears and I'm left with a circle+X and the progress circle under logo continues to spin, for hours and hours to no end.

I'm off of work for a bit, but I will find time and go get my retail disc for 10.6 and 10.5 (corporate licence) to play around with.

I just wish we were given the option out of the box as it used to be.

Thanks for any other advice.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bojarek8
      Hi! 

I'm Kris!  I hope my topic is in a good section.
      I am asking you guys for help in this difficult hackintosh problem. 
      For a very long time I tried to solve it myself but I have no idea how I can solve this problem.

Description of the problem

My problem is that I do not have access to any apple service. I am unable to log into the App Store using my Apple ID. I am unable to log into iCloud account in system preferences. iMessage and Facetime also do not work.  Messages that I get when I try to log in: "An error occurred during activation. Try again" 

in iMessage: "An error occurred during activation. Try again" 
      in App Store: "This device or computer can not be verified. Contact the support department for help"
      in Face Time: "There was an error during activation. Try again"

In summary, I am unable to log in to any apple network service. 

My Specification 

Motherboard:  Acer MG43M

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  E7600  3.06GHz

Graphic card: Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT 515MB 

Wi-fi: TP-LINK  TL-WN881ND

Ethernet: (not supported) 

Audio: (rather, it is not needed here)

Files: 

My config.plist: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vlYJC329sz6yuTwFr-k0fOs3rfhKeI6l

• By ammoune78
      Hey, i have problem of Freezes and Glitches with Intel HD 4400 in High Sierra 10.13.4. I have i5-4300U with the following edits:

OperationRegion (GFXH, PCI_Config, Zero, 0x40) Field (GFXH, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve) { VID0, 16, DID0, 16 } Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized) // _DSM: Device-Specific Method { If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10) { /* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, /* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B })) { If (LNotEqual (And (VID0, 0xFFFF), 0xFFFF)) { Store (Package (0x0E) { "AAPL,slot-name", "Built In", "name", "Intel Graphics Controller", "model", Buffer (0x0E) { "Intel HD 4400" }, "device_type", Buffer (0x14) { "Graphics Controller" }, "compatible", Buffer (0x0C) { "pci8086,412" }, "AAPL,ig-platform-id", Buffer (0x04) { 0x06, 0x00, 0x26, 0x0A }, "hda-gfx", Buffer (0x0A) { "onboard-1" } }, Local0) DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0)) Return (Local0) } } Return (0x80000002) } And using "0x04128086" as FakeID, injecting Intel enabled and using the "0x0A260006" in Clover config.plist.
      Please any suggestion to solve this issue?
      Thanks!
    • By KyleGP
      Hi all,

I have 5 disks including four SSDS and a 4TB HDD configured in a CoreStorage (Fusion drive) volume.

I have Filevault enabled also.

When I turn on my hackintosh, I am presented with the Filevault screen to select my user, enter my password and continue to decrypt and boot macOS. This works around 80% of the time with no issues at all.

Sometimes with seemingly no identifiable pattern, after I enter my password it just hangs on the Filevault screen with the loading bar and does not progress. There is no disk activity either. After a while of the hanging, it will just display the prohibitory sign against a black background.

I have to force shut the hackintosh off with the power button and try to boot again. Usually after I do this, it will boot the second time.

I'm currently running Sierra 10.12.6 but this has also happened when I tried 10.13 too.

Clover is fully up to date as of today (r4380). 

Does anyone know why this might occur?

The only thing I have picked up on is the drives change disk identifiers and move themselves around (eg. /dev/disk1) during different boot ups so maybe it's getting confused when trying to decrypt and boot as a corestorage volume. I have no idea how to prevent this from happening either.

Any help or suggestion would really be appreciated.

My specs are:

Motherboard: GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
      RAM: 16GB Corsair 1866MHZ Memory
      GFX: 2x Nvidia GTX 760
      CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHZ
    • By sunborn
      So I just got Yosemite up and virtualized in ESXi.

However, I am using workstation as a console like the KB says to do after 6.5.

So the benefit of the workstation is that sound can come out if you add the adapter. This works just fine with a window$ VM. (BTW the documentation says it shouldn't work)

In the yosemite VM it just produces a white-noise static when the sounds should be played.

This tells me that it is a driver issue, and should be able to work in theory.

However, does anyone have experience with VMWare workstation and the sound in OS X?

Thanks,