Input Issues on VMWare 8 + Snow Leopard 10.6.5 + AMD Phenom II

2 posts in this topic

a. This may be the wrong subforum so feel free to slap me if I have posted this in the incorrect place

b. I will get more specific details when I get back home, for now I can only offer general information on what I did

c. I am not really familiar with the Mac OS X world, so go easy on me

I decided to try getting OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 to run in VMWare 8 on a machine with these specs:

AMD Phenom II X2 560

ASUS M4A87 Motherboard

I grabbed an existing copy of a vmdk instance of pre-installed Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I was able to boot to it with darwin legacy and ended up at the desktop, all was well. I then installed VMWare Tools and rebooted - all was well. I found Nawcom's 10.6.3 kernel update for AMD procs and installed. Afterwards, I was able to update all the way to 10.6.4.

I made a snapshot (backup) of the VM and then tried to do an update to 10.6.5. The update went through but the issue is now that mouse/keyboard input no longer seems to respond. The cursor moves but it will not respond to clicks. If I reload the snapshot before the update to 10.6.5, mouse/keyboard input works fine. I'm wondering if the update somehow installed/changed the driver for USB devices? Not sure.

SO question is, is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this?

* edit *

Given that this is an issue that may be an absolute beating to troubleshoot, would someone be willing to give me directions on how to set this up completely from scratch? I do not mind going back to step one if it would be easier to get assistance with.

With patience, I was able to resolve all my issues (least the ones I know of in this vm).

Resolution was to make a copy of the IOUSB kexts as shown here before the update: http://www.sysprobs.com/fix-usb-mouse-stopped-working-snow-leopard-1066-update-vmware

After the update but before a restart, you simply overwrite the ones written by the updater. I followed this method while proceeding with instructions here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253767

I'm not certain everything is working but at least it appears to work without issues. Running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard right now.