InsanelyMac Forum
mrbonk

Can't access Win7 X64 host from Mountain Lion VM?

Hi folks,

I've just finished installing Mountain Lion on VMware 8. I'm trying to access the shared folders on the host (Win7 X64) but it just keeps telling me 'connection failed'. If I choose the 'Connect As...' button, it then goes on to tell me that there was a problem connecting to the server. The server may not exist etc. However, I'm able to connect to other shared folders on other machines on my network just fine. The setups on the other machines are the same as on my host machine, so I'm not really sure what I've done wrong there. From the Mountain Lion VM, I can even see other VMs on this host (Win8 and WinXP) and access their shared folders....just not on the physical host machine. I can ping the IP address of the host successfully too.

Help?

Advertisement

Can you access the shared folders on the host from another computer?

Absolutely. The host PC shows up immediately on my GF's Laptop (Win7 X32 Home Edition) and I can copy files to/from the shares on the host without problems. I also have a PC set up as a media share box (Win7 X32 Ultimate Edition) which can also see and access the host shares without issues.

Absolutely. The host PC shows up immediately on my GF's Laptop (Win7 X32 Home Edition) and I can copy files to/from the shares on the host without problems. I also have a PC set up as a media share box (Win7 X32 Ultimate Edition) which can also see and access the host shares without issues.

Wow, that IS weird. Does it work on other Mac OS X systems?

Wow, that IS weird. Does it work on other Mac OS X systems?

It doesn't look like it. I've got a Lion VM that I've just tried to do the same with and I can't get to the host shares on it either. It's the same for the other computers on the network though....from the Lion VM I can see and access them fine. Maybe it's just a VMware thing?

It doesn't look like it. I've got a Lion VM that I've just tried to do the same with and I can't get to the host shares on it either. It's the same for the other computers on the network though....from the Lion VM I can see and access them fine. Maybe it's just a VMware thing?

Try using a VM on another computer. See if it connects to the host, and if it connects to this computer as well.