Broadcom, patched Airport Driver, Airport Deteced Built-in Ethernet, SOLVED!

medafor

4 posts in this topic

note i use the patched dvd install.

some broadcom wireless device users are having the problem where there airport is detected as "built in ethernet". the airport icon says not configured. the problem is it thinks your broadcom wireless device is part of the motherboard. the way i found this out was i had the mac os installed already, went out and bought a F5d7001 belkin, installed the patched appleairport2.kext, restarted osx, fixed disk permission with disk utility for kext, shutdown, inserted the f5d7001, then restarted. new airport detected. worked and only with 128bit wep, wpa and 64 bit security wouldnt work. also my ethernet card was enabled in my bios(this is important later on).

all good. well no, i wanted to repartition my drive. for some reason i also turned off my onboard ethernet in my motherboard bios(guess i felt cocky). so i reinstalled osx (note with the broadcom wirless card in already), use patched driver. i restarted. now i was faced with the PROBLEM of the airport device being detected as a built in ethernet. it wouldnt detect the aiport device or my network :D . well i kinda figured out the problem fast since i had it working at first.

so heres the fix.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!remove your broadcom chipset wireless device. turn on the onboard ethernet/lan in your motherboard bios. if you dont have one, install a PCI one. if you dont have that, make sure your broadcom device is unplugged from you board. REINSTALL OSX, now install patched kext properly with permissions. make sure osx is detecting your onboard ethernet or pci ethernet as the "built-in ethernet".now shutdown cpu, pop in your broadcom card, reboot. now click on airport icon at top, NEW DEVICE AIRPORT FOUND. then you should know how to do the rest. cheers(remember 128 bit HEX WEP only worked for me and of course the no security option worked)

ps

you might be able to do this without reinstalling osx. try taking out your braodcom device, enable onboard ethernet or pci eth, reboot, make osx recognize the onboard/pci ethernet as "built in ethernet", shutdown, then install broadcom card. try that it may save you a reinstall. PLEASE TELL ME IF IT WORKS THIS WAY ALSO?

• 2 months later...

I have the F5D7001 as well, and I was wondering if you could confirm that you got your f5d7001 to work, and also with what version of Mac OS x.

I also wanted to see what .kext you used to get it working, I am using the AppleAirPort2.kext and it detects it as a built-in ethernet just as your, but I will try reformatting and following your instructions.

THanks a bunch.

note i use the patched dvd install.

some broadcom wireless device users are having the problem where there airport is detected as "built in ethernet". the airport icon says not configured. the problem is it thinks your broadcom wireless device is part of the motherboard. the way i found this out was i had the mac os installed already, went out and bought a F5d7001 belkin, installed the patched appleairport2.kext, restarted osx, fixed disk permission with disk utility for kext, shutdown, inserted the f5d7001, then restarted. new airport detected. worked and only with 128bit wep, wpa and 64 bit security wouldnt work. also my ethernet card was enabled in my bios(this is important later on).

all good. well no, i wanted to repartition my drive. for some reason i also turned off my onboard ethernet in my motherboard bios(guess i felt cocky). so i reinstalled osx (note with the broadcom wirless card in already), use patched driver. i restarted. now i was faced with the PROBLEM of the airport device being detected as a built in ethernet. it wouldnt detect the aiport device or my network ;) . well i kinda figured out the problem fast since i had it working at first.

so heres the fix.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!remove your broadcom chipset wireless device. turn on the onboard ethernet/lan in your motherboard bios. if you dont have one, install a PCI one. if you dont have that, make sure your broadcom device is unplugged from you board. REINSTALL OSX, now install patched kext properly with permissions. make sure osx is detecting your onboard ethernet or pci ethernet as the "built-in ethernet".now shutdown cpu, pop in your broadcom card, reboot. now click on airport icon at top, NEW DEVICE AIRPORT FOUND. then you should know how to do the rest. cheers(remember 128 bit HEX WEP only worked for me and of course the no security option worked)

ps

you might be able to do this without reinstalling osx. try taking out your braodcom device, enable onboard ethernet or pci eth, reboot, make osx recognize the onboard/pci ethernet as "built in ethernet", shutdown, then install broadcom card. try that it may save you a reinstall. PLEASE TELL ME IF IT WORKS THIS WAY ALSO?

Is this for 10.4.1 or flavors of 10.4.3?

op

• 1 month later...