Cover Flow Like App Tutorial?

4 posts in this topic

is there any tutorials on a cover flow like app?

where its just basically a photo viewing app, that'll call the images from a web service.

all it would be would just a view with photos that u just wipe, maybe have tabs for season, new, hot, etc etc.

or maybe have a sub UIView on the bottom that'll display catalogs by season. which u can select that'll call the web service for images for that catalog

Sounds like you want a custom UITableView with gestures so that you can flick through them. I did something like that before although it was different from how Apple's own is in their Music.app but it def is possible.

So how do you wanna do it UITableView on top with a subview on bottom?

Sounds like you want a custom UITableView with gestures so that you can flick through them. I did something like that before although it was different from how Apple's own is in their Music.app but it def is possible.

So how do you wanna do it UITableView on top with a subview on bottom?

would it be a tableview? wouldn't it be just a UIView with photos and u swipe? or what would be easier?

i do want to have some sort of catalogue appearance, which i think would be table view, maybe it shows all the items in thumbnail, and when u select an item it enlarges the photo, and you can swipe to change to the next item, and tap for its details, which show a semitransparent menu, with sizes, color, etc etc

Well I said table view first since it resembles the Pulse app interface which is comprised of many table views which you can swipe through and Apple's music app comes closest to that type of view in my opinion. If you want the catalogue appearance effect then that's gonna require some fiddling with numbers when the transitions are happening i.e. How fast should they flick through, how big should the thumbnail get, etc because these aren't given to you you're gonna have to figure some values out for yourself. I personally wouldn't push view after view on to the viewcontroller because when you're dealing with a large category of photos the loading and unloading of views can cause a slight performance hit. If you have iOS 6 you'd see that the new App Store follows the same Cover flow like UI as the Music app so using that as an example with the thumbnails, do you believe the engineers used countless UIViews or just used a UITableView and populated the view information?

I provided a screenshot of the new App Store to use as reference

image.png

You see the top row and the 3 smaller ones? All of those you flick through just like the albums in the Music.App. If you were to use many different UIViews that would be a hell of a lot of views right? You're probably now seeing what I mean by using TableViews to achieve something like this but it's gonna have to be a complex TableView both design wise and function wise as well.