Should I upgrade my CPU?

natas

3 posts in this topic

As of right now I have a K8VSE motherboard with a old AMD 64 3000+ (sse2 only). My board will support a Athlon 64 3400+ or 3700+ which has SSE3. Would it be worth the $80-100 to get one of these, or should I just get a new motherboard with a intel cpu?

I really don't want to shell out money for new memory, and video...and from the looks of it I would need to if I went with a intel chip.

With the advancements [and luck] the AMD team has had with these releases [check my sig.], if you're just looking for a bump in performance but don't want to spend Intel money, just upgrade your CPU. The increase in cache size and clock speed alone should provide a healthy bump in performance. Seems to me that by the time you saved up for an Intel mobo/CPU/video card you could've purchased a Mac Mini.

With the advancements [and luck] the AMD team has had with these releases [check my sig.], if you're just looking for a bump in performance but don't want to spend Intel money, just upgrade your CPU. The increase in cache size and clock speed alone should provide a healthy bump in performance. Seems to me that by the time you saved up for an Intel mobo/CPU/video card you could've purchased a Mac Mini.

Thats what I was thinking myself. The total for the upgrade would be around $500 and with that I can get a mac mini.

I really miss my mac, thats why I am doing this whole osx86 thing. I had a dual g4 1.25ghz that I got rid of 6 months ago because I needed the money.