Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
fallen101

[Question]Dual Booting Windows and Mac OSX

4 posts in this topic

I'am planing on reformatting my PC. My current setup is

200gig 7200 RPM drive for MAC OSX 10.8

1tb 7200 RPM Drive for windows 8.

My new setup I hope will be;

Windows 8 (for general stuff etc around 500-600 gigs)

Windows 7 (for gaming around 250 gigs)

Mac OSX 10.7 or 8 (maybe both around 200 gigs)

now the storage Isn't 100% it might change around some IDK yet.

question one; Should I keep using my 200gig HDD for my hackintosh or should I move it to my tb

question two; If I do use my 1TB HDD what order should I install my OSes

question Three; If I do install what format should be my HDD?

question one; Should I keep using my 200gig HDD for my hackintosh or should I move it to my tb

question two; If I do use my 1TB HDD what order should I install my OSes

question Three; If I do install what format should be my HDD?

1. YES keep OS X on separate drive - it will save you much time and keep away from many issues.

2. It doesn't really matter with Windows 7/8 (as it was with XP). Preferably OS X should be first. Either way a "bootloader dance" will be needed. Again it doesn't matter if you keep OS X on a separate disk.

3. Format meaning partition table format or file system format? If your PC has UEFI 2.X motherboard and Windows is 64 bit, then go for GPT disk. If it's not (no UEFI or Windows is 32-bit), then you gonna need a hybrid GPT/MBR disk (which may be troublesome in some cases). Now if we talk about file system format, obviously HFS+ for OS X and NTFS for Windows. If you say install all OSs on the same drive and OS X would be the first to install, then create some FAT partitions for Windows and leave rest for OS X.

(I swear I'm not stalking you Pi)

I have OS X and Windows on separate drives and I use my BIOS' boot selector when I want to boot to OS X.

Touch nothing and Windows boots - press F8 during boot, select the OS X drive and Chameleon loads and boots up OS X.

On my setup, the reason why I don't use Chameleon for booting both OS is that Windows does not like when you boot it from another drive - hibernation stops working and you will not be able to install service packs. But it's possible to install Chameleon to your Windows drive now - without breaking anything - using dmazar's boot0md instead of regular boot0. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

1. YES keep OS X on separate drive - it will save you much time and keep away from many issues.

2. It doesn't really matter with Windows 7/8 (as it was with XP). Preferably OS X should be first. Either way a "bootloader dance" will be needed. Again it doesn't matter if you keep OS X on a separate disk.

3. Format meaning partition table format or file system format? If your PS has UEFI 2.X motherboard and Windows is 64 bit, then go for GPT disk. If it's not (no UEFI or Windows is 32-bit), then you gonna need a hybrid GPT/MBR disk (which may be troublesome in some cases). Now if we talk about file system format, obviously HFS+ for OS X and NTFS for Windows. If you say install all OSs on the same drive and OS X would be the first to install, then create some FAT partitions for Windows and leave rest for OS X.

Yea what I thought about GUID and GPT was reading up on it last night lol. xD

I knew it didn't matter with windows but For OSX I remember having to do stuff with the bootloader when I did it on my 1TB before.

And thanks I'll keep it on my separate drive which has never gave me issues ;)

(I swear I'm not stalking you Pi)

I have OS X and Windows on separate drives and I use my BIOS' boot selector when I want to boot to OS X.

Touch nothing and Windows boots - press F8 during boot, select the OS X drive and Chameleon loads and boots up OS X.

On my setup, the reason why I don't use Chameleon for booting both OS is that Windows does not like when you boot it from another drive - hibernation stops working and you will not be able to install service packs. But it's possible to install Chameleon to your Windows drive now - without breaking anything - using dmazar's boot0md instead of regular boot0. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Yea, thats like my current setup :P