Gray screen of death after ######

Paintedeyes

2 posts in this topic

So I decided to do a fresh install of 10.7.2. I'm able to do the install succesfully and I get to the mac desktop. The problem is when I install ###### with what I thought were the correct drivers. After installing and rebooting I get the gray screen of death. I was wondering if anyone could assist me. its been about a year since I made my last hackintosh so i'm a tiny bit rusty. Pretty much what I need working after the installation is the sound, dual monitors and not resetting my bios after each reboot. Although I haven't had much time to see if there are any problems.

Also, is there an easy way to fix the gray screens or do i have to just reinstall the operating system. I've just been reinstalling. Thanks!

Specs:

Evga x-58 motherboard

i7 processor

Evga Gefroce 560 GTX-TI

Yours is most likey a video problem and could be solved as simply as using a different output on the video card.

Using one of the newer Chameleon bootloaders with GraphicsEnabler=Yes in the bootplist will normally produce functional video. If GE=Yes doesn't work, try GE=No, if that doesn't work use -x as a bootflag.

I would strongly suggest you check out DigitalDreamers script (long thread in Tutorials) as a tool for installing kexts and bootloader after the initial install - at least using his script you know what kexts have been installed where! Read the first post in his thread, it explains how to use the script and contains the download. Although written for Gigabyte boards, it will work on other boards. You may need different kexts for ethernet and audio depending on the chipsets on your board but those can be placed in the kext folders and installer using his script.