[GUIDE] 10.6.3 on a Dell Vostro 1220

DMMA

8 posts in this topic

You can read guide on installing Lion to Vostro 1220 here.

Just got Snow Leopard working on Dell Vostro 1220 and since i couldn't find any useful info on google earlier, wanted to share my experience.

It's pretty simple:

1. Just boot iATKOS_S3, it works fine even without any boot arguments and with any BIOS settings (unlike Lion)

2. Install

3. After installing boot iATKOS_S3 again, launch Terminal and do rm -r /Volumes/[Whatever label of your system disk is]/Extra/ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext

You can now boot your system (well, at least i can)

4. Install drivers

• Lnx2Mac will give you Lan network

• VoodooPS2 will let you get rid of USB keyboard and mouse

• Sound can be enabled by installing VoodooHDA 2.7.3

1280x800 resolution can be enabled by

1. Launching Chameleon installer

2. Enabling resolution module

3. Enabling Settings->Resolution->1280x800

Adding this to org.chameleon.boot.plist

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1280x800x32</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1280x1024x32</string>

gives me 1280x800 when using laptop display and 1280x1024 when i plug 1280x1024 monitor into vga port (and start laptop with closed case)

No QE/CI of course (for 4500mhd) which means you can't use VLC and playng youtube at fullscreen is laggy (html5 mode is not that bad).

use Skype 5.3.0.1093 to get Camera working

use vlc 0.9.2 for smooth video playback

Once video is open, you have to change zoom mode - (Command+1 or Command+3 or Command+F).

You can enable always go to full screen at VLC settings (Preferences->Video->Fullscreen and then Save).

Keep in mind, that there is not much info about 1220 but it's pretty similar to 1520, and that one is mentioned much more often

• Like 1

Interesting!

I am trying to install iAtkos L2 on my dell vostro 1500 (intel core2duo, intel 965 graphics card) and facing dvd hang issues even during install.

So far I managed to format the HDD, but then screen freeze blocked me.

Any idea about it?

In any case, which dvd image format did you use, and how did you burn it?

Thanks!

-vC

To be honest i never have enough patience to boot from dvd (well, i've managed to install it once this way, but that was enough)

Usually i clone dvd image to USB drive using disk utility

This clone can be loaded using any bootable device, like rBoot (which is more likely), or Chimera/Chameleon installed to same USB drive, or iATKOS_S3 DVD itself

• Like 1

I am curious to know more how you clone this dvd image (i have it in dmg format) to a usb drive.

All I have is a windows xp machine to do operations.

(I have a dell vostro 1500 harddrive formatted with mac os journeled partition, but dvd fails to proceed beyond that, so I can't install it there. For this purpose I need iATKOS L2 USB that will boot + install this OS on this harddrive. USB, since with DVD I don't have any success.)

Thanks!

-vC

Well you can't do it from windows, unless you install macos into vmware

Googling "dmg to usb" shows the guide

You can boot into iatkos installer from DVD and use it's disk utlity to clone dmg from CD->USB (not a good idea) or HDD->USB or USB->USB.

Obviously if it is going to be USB->USB you have to use two different USB devices or at least two different partitions of same device.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Congrats on getting your system running on the Dell. I have a question. You mention VLC is working for smooth video playback but unfortunately i can only hear aqudio when playing video files. How did you get VLC working for video files?

Thanks.

What is your VLC version?

For 0.9.2, once video is open, you have to change zoom mode (Command+1 or Command+3 or Command+F)

You can enable always go to full screen at VLC settings (Preferences->Video->Fullscreen and then Save)