E1705 Problems

zerotrace

5 posts in this topic

OK everyone... I am as new as it gets to this forum ... Say hello.... and be easy with me as I am very much a virgin to the mac OS as well...

OK Here are my Specs....

I Have a New Dell E1705

It has a Core Duo 2.0

2 Gig of 667 Ram

100 Gig 7200 rpm HD

dell true-mobile 1500 draft n

Nvidia go 7900GS

Everything else is pretty much standard among these lappys I think...

Heres what I have done to install the OS so far..

I installed the JaS 10.4.6 OS .. It took forever... IT seemed it read slow from my DVD.

It wouldn't boot with the Chain0, kept jumping back to the OS selection screen.. So I searched around the forum and found the answer which had me install mac drive and edit a boot file... It then booted.

I also edited the same boot file so i don't have to disable my other core in the bios... and added the fn=3 along with the -v options as i have read are helpful.

I installed the Jas 10.4.7 Intel update. Along with the NEWEST macvidia driver pkg. I installed the pkg since all that sudo stuff confuses the hell out of me.

I am having the following problems now...

I cannot hear sound... Which from what I have read is normal... And I wish the guys working on the issue the best.. and when i am not a n00b I will help..

My wifi doesn't work.. Which i thought it might since it is a broadcom chipset... But it didn't..

Do you guys think there is anything that can make it work?

IF not it is not big deal since I can just buy a dell true-mobile 1390 ... Does anyone know if the 1400 works in OS x since it has a/g/b i would rather have it.

Last but not least... I cannot play DVD.. I fear this might have to do with my video drivers.. Any ideas?

Thankz in advance

added the fn=3 along with the -v options as i have read are helpful.

fn=3 keeps the fan speed up to keep the processor cool and keeps the system from dialing back processor speed because of too much heat. But this sucks off battery power in a laptop.

-v is for verbose mode. It is what is making all that text scroll during boot. Great for diagnosing problems but not needed if things are booting fine.

My wifi doesn't work.. Which i thought it might since it is a broadcom chipset... But it didn't..

Do you guys think there is anything that can make it work?

IF not it is not big deal since I can just buy a dell true-mobile 1390 ... Does anyone know if the 1400 works in OS x since it has a/g/b i would rather have it.

Broadcom is supported but I don't think 802.11n is. Instead of the 1400, look at the 1450.

I cannot play DVD.. I fear this might have to do with my video drivers.

Probably true. Try VLC.