Needed - Three ATI Drivers From 10.6.7

4 posts in this topic

I updated to 10.6.8 and ended up with a completely white screen on reboot. I have since found out that my graphics card, an XFX Radeon HD5770, is incompatible with 10.6.8 drivers. Another user recommended that I start over and update to 10.6.7 and backup three ATI drivers - ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext and ATISupport.kext, update to 10.6.8 and then load the three 10.6.7 ATI drivers to get working video with my graphics card on 10.6.8.

The problem is that, after a clean re-install of my 10.6.3 retail, I cannot update to 10.6.7 as it always results in the installation failed. Therefore, I am thinking of updating to 10.6.8 using software update, but I need the three 10.6.7 ATI drivers to load after the 10.6.8 update. If someone is running 10.6.7, these three drivers would be greatly appreciated.

There is a 95% certainty method to obtain the kexts you desire yourself. Download the 10.6.7 Combo update from Apple. Download Pacifist from Charlessoft. Open the Combo DMG. Use Pacifist to open the Combo update pkg and extract the kexts you desire. If you make the right selections, Pacifist might even install them for you. Why only 95% certainty you ask? Because it is unknown whether the 10.6.7 Combo update completely replaces the original 10.6 kexts or only updates them. I'm betting on replacement in which case you win.

Thanks for your suggestions rlf and fantomas1. However, I was successful in manually updating to 10.6.7, backing up the three subject ATI drivers, manually updating to 10.6.8 and installing the three subject ATI drivers into my 10.6.8. I no longer get stuck at a white screen.

However, I have a new problem in that I cannot boot directly from the hard drive without using an ###### disk. I'll post this new problem as a new topic.