XPS 410: Windows 7 boot BSOD from Chameleon

daanodinot

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

A few days back I installed OS X Lion according to this guide. While OS X seems to work pretty well, I can't get my head around booting Windows 7. Whenever I want to boot Windows 7, I have to set 'Raid on' in the BIOS in order for it to work. Equally, OS X can only boot when I set it to 'Raid/Auto detect'. This means I have to switch this settings every time when switching OSs. Either OS X or Windows 7 must support the other setting.

The BSOD I get is just the default 'A problem has been detected...' one without any error code.

Some help would be appreciated :)

I think I've read somewhere if you've installed windows in IDE mode then changed to AHCI mode (you should have changed to ahci mode to install OS X) then windows wont work correctly.

Which would make sense if flicking between raid & raid auto is changing from ide to ahci (possible).

If no one else more clued up chimes in it should give you something to work off.

BUT to the best of my knowledge you'll need to reinstall windows with the bios set to ahci then both should run fine. Unsure if you can configure windows to tell it your changing modes. Google is your friend.

Ok, forget 'perfectly'... The problem I have is that the disk that includes the Windows 7 partition is not detected inside Hackintosh. Chameleon recognizes it, but inside Hackintosh it doesn't show up (I tried 'diskutil list' ).

I get the sense that it has something to do with the BIOS settings once again. Although there are only 2 options, RAID AUTODETECT/ATA and RAID ON I get increasingly confused annoyed as hell by them. I basically have 2 questions: Does this problem indeed have something to do with those settings, and second, which settings do I have to choose for the OS X and the Windows 7 installation/boot? FYI, I'm using a seperate disk for each OS.

Lastly, you mentioned that raid auto is probably AHCI. Isn't it the other way around? I believe RAID implies AHCI, so RAID must be AHCI. The other setting might or might not be AHCI.

inject ESB2 to sat0 .. aka Orange icons fix in dsdt editor/ patches.

now set to raid and youre done.

and yes on most dells RAID is ahci also. (XP would require F6 driver for intel sata ahci for installing XP)

Alright, after a lot of trial/error I found out that the problem is caused by installing the IOATAFamily.kext. After I install that, the Windows 7 partitions and disk become completely invisible. The kext file is included in this package. The package also includes the rest of the kext files I'm currently installing (besides [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]). I'm wondering what you make of it.