10.7.3, EVGA GTX 550 Ti, and no resolutions

Red Chops

3 posts in this topic

I feel like there are so many threads about this card, and I'm sorry for starting another one, but I feel like I've tried the steps in the other threads and I haven't fixed my specific issues.

A bit of background info, I have a Asus P5N-D mobo with a Core 2 Quad processor. I recently upgraded from my ancient 7900GT video card, which I had working 100% in this system before, full QE/CI, etc, using NVEnabler and an EFI string in Chameleon.

Now on to my current situation...I plugged in my new card, the 550, and was greeted with 1024x768. I immediately went to the osx86 kext page listed here: http://www.osx86.net...efi_string.html (which as of writing is down) and installed the kexts and ganked the EFI string, since I was then running an old version of Chameleon. At that point, I had removed NVEnabler before rebooting, since I remember having two enablers causes issues. When I rebooted, I was greeted with a black screen, before of which I noticed that NVDAGF100HAL loaded, and loads just about every time even now. Right now I can't remember all the things I've tried, but I've swapped out kexts with ones from the web, modified them myself, tried different EFI strings, etc. Through most of my tests, I had the card info in my DSDT file (which I need, since without it my CMOS will reset every time). About halfway thorugh I noticed that I didn't have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed, silly me, but the only thing that accomplished was to prevent me from using modified kexts from the web, since they fail to load with errors that seem to be unique to me, relating to audio. My latest tests include modifying and using ATY_Init, which did nothing for me, didn't even set the card name correctly in system profiler, and 5XX enabler, which makes the card recognized in system profiler, but gives the wrong name, calling it a 440 for some reason. Before using 5XX enabler, the card would only ever be recognized as generic card with 3 MB of video ram, even with it all in the DSDT.

At this point I'm not sure where to go, I feel like I removed all the other enablers, unless I'm missing a hidden one somewhere. I've tried booting with and without Graphics Enabler in Chameleon and other similar things. Is there a list of kexts I should be looking out for that shouldn't exist? Should I get rid of the info in DSDT and try to inject it some other way? I'm at a bit of a loss here, and I'm really not looking to reinstall my system after spending years getting it just right.

Looking forward to any help, thank you in advance!

[EDIT] Just removed all enablers, took the card info out of DSDT, left Graphics Enabler on in Chameleon, reinstalled the NVIDIA drivers to make sure it was all official, since this card is supposed to be supported, and booted to a screen that went right to sleep. Before it did, I noticed that NVDAGF100HAL did get loaded and registered.

[EDIT 2] Looks like no graphics enabler gives me a black screen as well. I think I'm going to try Natit and some EFI strings again, just to see

[EDIT 3] So with Natit and the NVIDIA drivers, I can boot up and get full resolution, but only if I boot in to single user mode and load it at that point, with or without Graphics Enabler and EFI strings. Also, when it does boot, I get very odd screen glitches, tearing, and other odd effects. I also have no OpenCL, so I'm guessing QE/CI is also not enabled

• 2 weeks later...

This card works out of the box in lion 10.7.3, delete any natit kexts or nvenabler kext. use graphicenable=yes and install latest nvidia geforce drivers and cuda drivers (both available on nvidia site) and u r done. full resolution, QE&CI. DVI & VGA (tested seperately) work fine.