performance help?

alongenemlines

5 posts in this topic

so, like many other, my hackintosh isn't quite as quick as i would hope. i used the jas 10.4.6 install dvd, then ran the 10.4.7 updae with semjaza's decrypts and the security update. it runs pretty well, but i'd still like to see some speed improvement. also, i can't seem to get the 1280 x 800 widescreen working properly. i installed the macvidia drivers, and it cleans everything up, but the screen goes black when i select the 1280x800 resolution.

i'm using a compaq presario r3000 laptop, amd athlon64 3000+, geforce4 440go, 512mb ram, and a 1280 x 800 widescreen.

any help is appreciated guys.

You could try the following boot options:

platform=x86pc (lets the OS know it's strictly on x86 hardware, some people report performance boosts using this)

"Graphics Mode"="1280x800x16" (forces 16 bit color, and yeah it looks a bit terrible but it's wicked fast overall, you can also replace the 16 with 24 for 24 bit color, a bit faster than 32 and still true color so it looks good)

Those are the only two that I can recommend for a quick speedboost - more serious stuff requires more serious tweaking and I'm not on AMD hardware so I can't help there.

bb

would i need to type these in at every boot

First, try them by typing them at boot. If they are acceptable, then you can add them to the boot.plist file.

Edit the boot.plist file at "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" and add the following shown in bold:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>
platform=x86pc
</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x16</string>

You can edit the file by dragging it to the Desktop and editing it with TextEdit, then dragging it back, answering the 2 resulting dialogs - Authenticate and yes to replace, then followed by using Disk Utility to repair permissions on the OSX partition.

Or you can do it via Terminal with this command:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist