XPS 410/Dimension 9200: recommended OSX to start with

daanodinot

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

What version would you recommend I try first with my PC? The latest reported working version I was able to find is 10.5.8. It could be that this is indeed the latest working version but it seems more likely that fewer people are using this PC over time.

Part of the problem is that the motherboard on this PC is a Dell design, which makes it difficult for me to check for which versions it is supported.

In any case, here are the specs. If you still have some questions, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks in advance.

5770 should work but not with graphicsenabler?. .. some other methods

dsdt needs to be patched to look like mac.

You don't need to use a DSDT for the Dell XPS 410 / Dimension 9200.

Read up on the XPS 410 here, the last few pages should be enough, if you want to install 10.6.8 look here and here (same guide) for Lion look here, you've attempted that and are close, just need your graphics to work, unfortunately this is gonna be the hard part. You might save yourself a headache by buying a card with better support, its why I bought the nVidia 8400GS.

I've had my hackintosh Dell running perfect (without the need for a DSDT) since October last year starting with 10.6 updated to 10.6.8 and its now on 10.7 updated to 10.7.3 without any issues.

8400sgs isnt much better . deviceid 10c3 ? yeah newer chipset works .. barrely.

i rather get a 9500 or a 9800 or a gts250/ gtx260

i prefer to run my systemS with dsdt

but good link for dsdt challenged users that like to change many kexts (not me i go vanilla)

You don't need to use a DSDT for the Dell XPS 410 / Dimension 9200.

Read up on the XPS 410 here, the last few pages should be enough, if you want to install 10.6.8 look here and here (same guide) for Lion look here, you've attempted that and are close, just need your graphics to work, unfortunately this is gonna be the hard part. You might save yourself a headache by buying a card with better support, its why I bought the nVidia 8400GS.

I've had my hackintosh Dell running perfect (without the need for a DSDT) since October last year starting with 10.6 updated to 10.6.8 and its now on 10.7 updated to 10.7.3 without any issues.

Thanks for your reponse, I'm glad I remembered to check this thread again :)

Could you elaborate on what kind of problems I'll experience when I try to get my GPU to work? Is it a matter of 'not working at all' vs. 'totally working' or small details that cannot be solved? Does it also depend on the type/brand of 5770 card?

Quite a few people seem to have gotten the 5770 to work but maybe they're just smart or lucky : ) I also found this interesting guide, although I'm not sure I dare to try it out.

EDIT

What's weird is that most 5770s have model number HD577XZNFC while I have a HD577XZNFB3, which is apparantly a lot rarer.

Ok, I decided to flash my GPU to the first BIOS version and guess what? It works! I can boot normally without any errors and the screen resolution is perfect. I was able to upgrade all software (including Lion) and do all things that I wanted to try. In system info I could see that the GPU was detected.

However, there are some problems... I still get the 'out of range' error when I boot from the hard drive. I suspect Chameleon doesn't properly recognize my GPU. Maybe I need to install a kext file or change some settings, I'm not sure. Strangely, when I boot Hackintosh from the install CD I can boot without any problems (so that's what I'm currently doing).

Another problem is that I get an 'DVD player quit unexpectedly' error when opening the DVD player app. Many people consider this the 'ultimate test' to check if the GPU is properly installed.. well.. apparantly it's not :P

I don't know if these two problems are related but just to let you know.

• Like 1

Alright, I’ve solved the “out of range” error by using either DVI or HDMI. This allowed me to succesfully boot up Hackintosh using Chimera. I had one small hiccup where the ethernet connection was apparantly gone. I’ve no idea why I didn’t have this problem using the install CD, but.. I was able to solve the problem by setting “32-bit (i386)” in Chameleon Wizard.

There are still some things to be solved. For a start, I now get black borders around the BIOS screens and apple logo boot screen. I suspect this problem has little to do with Hackintosh and more with how DVI/HDMI handle the resolutions as opposed to VGA. I think VGA scales the image whereas DVI/HDMI do not.

A more serious problem is that I still have the feeling that the image quality is not quite right yet. Especially when looking at small text the image seems somwhat out of focus with more grey anti-aliasing around it. BTW, this issue is unrelated to using VGA, DVI or HDMI. As far as I could see the image quality of videos, photos, graphics look perfectly fine. I compared it with a Win7 laptop and saw no difference. I stress ‘image quality’, because I do notice hickups once every few seconds when I play videos.

I suspect these issues are related to kext files, but I’m not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the two problems I mentioned earlier were not really problems for the most part. What is a problem is that I can't connect the ethernet after I upgrade to 7.3. I'm surprised Tim (TimK1764) did not experience this. I've already created a seperate thread so feel free to reply in any of these two threads.