Just found out about all this... I already purchased my rig :(

4 posts in this topic

So I want to install OSX on my machine and I am wondering where to start. There seems to be a lot of information scattered all around.

Here is my build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K

RAM: 16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)

MOBO: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Maximus IV GENE-Z (LGA1155)

GFX: 3072MB GeForce GTX 580 (EVGA)

HDDs:Seagate ST31500341AS, Seagate ST33000651AS

Optical Drive: Blu Ray drive

So with what you see here can you point out any pitfalls I could possibly run into? tips/advice of any sort would be greatly appreciated. Once I feel 100% confident I will be able to install OSX on my machine I will probably go buy a OSX disc.

THANKS!

oh my god!!you have an extreme machine!just too awesome :) i m no expert but i would say most of the stuff should work.To install snowleopard u need to remove few ram sticks to make it 4gb i m not sure y SL won t install about 4gb ram and after installation put them back :) it should recognize i believe and also u can only install < 1tb hdds .

Lion os x is better suited for your configuration than SL coz there is not much support for your gfx card in SL as far as my knowledge is concerned.

note:You need SL os x installed first in your comp before installing lion os x if u r planning to go for retail method of installation i hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

you are welcome :) i think you might also need to create a dsdt for your motherboard if sound or other components does n t work and also to utilize the full capability of i7 u can see in dsdt section how it can created :) since have 2 hdds can install mac os x in one of the hdds that doesn t contain windows installation to be on the safer side :)