Wireless success (mostly) with Panda USB

NevadaDave

1 post in this topic

I have a partially working 10.4.6 install on a Dell D620. Since, apparently, OSX hates Intel wireless hardware, I bought a Panda USB wifi dongle from Amazon, made by Ralink. I tried installing the drivers that came on the min-CD, but kept getting errors. I then went to the Ralink website to get updated drivers. they listed one package for OSX 10.4, so I downloaded that (BTW - downloaded using Win XP, since I have no network connection at all when in OSX - the Broadcom etherenet refuses to work, no matter what I've done). I then booted up OSX, dragged the downloaded file from my XP drive onto the desktop, duoble-clicked the .dmg file and it put a nice little icon on the desktop. I opened that, selected the 10.4 folder, started the installer - it ran! I then re-booted as requested, but still no wireless Grrrrr!

I stated searcing some more, because the system profiler clearly showed the dongle attached to USB, and recognized it as a wireless device. I also noted that the Product ID was 0x3070.

Back to the internet in XP - found this website: http://www.wireless-...ivers-software/ which has drivers listed, one of which has 307x in the title. OK, let's try that!

5 minutes later, it is installed, and glorosky! I can now connect to the internet!

However - the USB dongle shows up as "built-in ethernet", not a wireless adapter. Why is this? Is it a driver issue? Is there a problem with this configuration?

Finally - any ideas on getting the Broadcom 9221 chipset working?