Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

D620 HDAPatch fails boot

1 post in this topic

I recently got a Jas 10.4.6 install to run on my Dell D620. No sound, no networking, which seems to be typical. Other stuff seems OK. I selected the SSE2 and SSE3 options at the install, and my BIOS is set to disable multicore.

I have tried twice now to run the HDApatch, with both a Sigmatel 9220 and a 9221 dump, but after running the patch and trying to restart, I get the"You need to restart your computer" screen. If I select the -v option when Darwin starts (and it is almost impossible - if I don't hit F8 just as I select "boot" from Acronis boot select, I can't get Darwin to recognize it) I eventually reach a point where the debugger is called, and there are a whole bunch of hex numbers that are totally meaningless to me. The last few lines make a reference to a backtrace being terminated, and a line says,

"Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.0)@0x4662e000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily(2.0)@0x5ofa2000

I notice that some other posts refer to a 1.16 patch, and it looks as if the one I have is 1.2.4 - is that the problem? The only way I can figure to fix this is to re-install the system, which is very time consuming. Before I do that again, any ideas as to why the boot fails after trying to get the sound working? Can I do something to remove the effects of the patch without having to do a re-install?

I attached a camera shot of the screen when the install fails. I can see a number of references to things failing when trying to load audio stuff. Is there some specific process I need ot follow when running the patcher? I copied the files to my OSX drive, then dragged the .txt file onto the patcher icon, entered my password, then got a successful (as far as I can tell) process. If I can get sound and networking going, this might be kind of cool, but right now it's mostly a paperweight.