D620 HDAPatch fails boot

NevadaDave

1 post in this topic

I recently got a Jas 10.4.6 install to run on my Dell D620. No sound, no networking, which seems to be typical. Other stuff seems OK. I selected the SSE2 and SSE3 options at the install, and my BIOS is set to disable multicore.

I have tried twice now to run the HDApatch, with both a Sigmatel 9220 and a 9221 dump, but after running the patch and trying to restart, I get the"You need to restart your computer" screen. If I select the -v option when Darwin starts (and it is almost impossible - if I don't hit F8 just as I select "boot" from Acronis boot select, I can't get Darwin to recognize it) I eventually reach a point where the debugger is called, and there are a whole bunch of hex numbers that are totally meaningless to me. The last few lines make a reference to a backtrace being terminated, and a line says,

"Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController(1.2.4a21)@0x50fa8000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.0)@0x4662e000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily(2.0)@0x5ofa2000

I notice that some other posts refer to a 1.16 patch, and it looks as if the one I have is 1.2.4 - is that the problem? The only way I can figure to fix this is to re-install the system, which is very time consuming. Before I do that again, any ideas as to why the boot fails after trying to get the sound working? Can I do something to remove the effects of the patch without having to do a re-install?

I attached a camera shot of the screen when the install fails. I can see a number of references to things failing when trying to load audio stuff. Is there some specific process I need ot follow when running the patcher? I copied the files to my OSX drive, then dragged the .txt file onto the patcher icon, entered my password, then got a successful (as far as I can tell) process. If I can get sound and networking going, this might be kind of cool, but right now it's mostly a paperweight.

post-83862-0-78671000-1330148730_thumb.jpg