Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Abell

HP Envy 2280NR

1 post in this topic

Ive seen a lot of posts about a few of the HP Envy 17s. I have an Envy 17 2280NR, does anyone have any experience working with the hardware on these for an OSx86 as far as compatibility goes?

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By gygabyte666
      LAST UPDATED: [11/22/2017]

Recent Changes:
      -added artur_pt to Thanks list for being the first person to try to help me 4 years ago.
      -FINALLY removed the [WIP] in title. I think it's safe now, haha
      -HUGE post cleanup! should be (hopefully) easier to navigate
      -added new section for 10.13 High Sierra
      -added link to Andrw0380's 10.13 files
      -removed old link to Andrw0380's 10.12.1 / 10.12.2 beta files
      -updated link to Andrw0380's updated 10.12.4 files
      -updated thread title, now shows 10.8.5-10.13.x
      -removed images as they weren't loading anymore anyway

Previous Changes:
      -added link to Andrw0380's 10.12.1 / 10.12.2 beta files
      -updated 10.12 about image, not a clone of 10.11 about image anymore
      -updated thread title, now shows 10.8.5-10.12.x
      -slight post cleanup

DISCLAIMER: I can be in no way held responsible for any damage to your computer as a result of the information or files provided on this page. I can't be held responsible for the faults and errors of those who follow (or choose not to follow) my advise or instructions. You are on your own if you proceed. This was created with the assumption that anyone following it would be using the SAME machine model and hardware setup as mine, a HP ENVY 17t-j000 Quad. Using any other model or hardware configuration may work but is completely unsupported! This was never intended to be used as an installation guide and shouldn't be referenced as one. It is merely a place to list my testing results. Consider this your one and ONLY warning. Continue at your OWN RISK...

NOTICE: I will always be very proud of the work that was put into the making of these files not just by me but through the amazingly generous and wonderful people in this community. During my absence, that same community even took over and provided others with the assistance to keep up-to-date with the newer flavors of OS X. All of that hard work, time and effort will remain here on the first page for as long as possible for both reference and historical purposes. For reference, I supported and maintained packages for 10.8.x Mountain Lion, 10.9.x Mavericks and 10.10.x Yosemite (briefly).

Andrw0380 has generously been providing more updated support packages for this thread for quite some time now. If you are to use any of the files listed below, I would recommend his as they are typically more recent and better tested. Be sure to check over his posts for further details and usage instructions and don't forget to say THANKS for his time and effort.

The good news is it has recently been brought to my attention that RehabMan has been hard at work and has created a much better, more reliable method for both current and possibly future OS X installs. His new method, named the "hotpatch" method is far superior to our old ones and should rightfully take its place. I leave you with a direct link to his detailed and extensive guide to assist both current and future users with their adventures in OS X. Should you find success using his method, please remember to say THANKS for his work and to possibly add to his growing repository to hopefully assist future users in their own success stories.

RehabMan "hotpatch" guide

10.13.x (macOS High Sierra) ENVY Files:
      Files generously provided by Andrw0380 HERE
      Be sure to say THANKS for all the hard work!

10.12.x (macOS Sierra) ENVY Files:

10.11.x (El Capitan) ENVY Files:

10.10.x (Yosemite) ENVY Files:

[LAST UPDATED: [10/26/2014]
      10.10_ENVY_10262014.zip
      Dropbox Mirror

10.9.5 (Mavericks) ENVY Files:
      [LAST UPDATED: [04/07/2015]
      Dropbox Update

[LAST UPDATED: [10/26/2014]
      10.9.5_ENVY_10262014.zip
      Dropbox Mirror

10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) ENVY Files:
      [LAST UPDATED: [04/07/2015]
      Dropbox Update

[LAST UPDATED: [08/28/2014]
      10.8.5_ENVY_08282014.zip
      Dropbox Mirror

SPECIAL THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE:
      [in no particular order]

- CharlieSheen
      - bcc9
      - RehabMan
      - mnfesq
      - toleda
      - Mieze
      - Micky1979
      - artur_pt
      - TimeWalker75a
      - Slice
      - Andrw0380
      - jerrywilborn
      - Cobra03
      - hotKoffy
      - mnorthern
      - PikeRAlpha
      - nrjmadan

IF I MISSED ANYONE, I APOLOGIZE.

REMINDER: An unbelievable amount of hard work, dedication and enormous amounts of time have gone into the making, testing and maintaining of the content for this post, this thread and the entire forum as a whole. Please do try to remember that SOMEONE has to make all this happen. Be sure to THANK those who deserve it. A little appreciation goes a long way.

CONCLUSION: Lastly, I am rarely active anymore and would just like to say thank you to all those who stepped up and not only took my place during my absence but also improved upon what I started so many years ago now. I truly can't believe how long this thread has survived and it is awe-inspiring to see how much further it has moved along since I last visited it. You are all just amazing and wonderful people for doing what you do. You all know who you are. Keep doing what you do and thank you again for everything that you've already done and for everything that you will hopefully continue to do in the future.

• By aserigfx
      Salve a tutti ben ritrovati.

Oggi ho dovuto sostituire la batteria al mio laptop HP,
      per puro caso mi sono accorta che è previsto uno slot msata.
      Mi chiedevo: secondo voi potrei usarlo come disco  per mac? E magari l'ssd come archivio.

Consigli
    • By aserigfx
      HI,Some advice to install el capitan on this laptop ?
      HP ENVY 15-j022el

cpu:intel 17-4700mq haswell 2.4ghz quad 8 threads
      ram: 16gb ddr3
      chipset: hm 87 express
      gpu: hd 4600 , nvidia gt740m 2 gb
      audio: beats audio (IDT)

this my first time on laptop

http://support.hp.com/it-it/product/HP-ENVY-15-Notebook-PC-series/5354982/model/5404035/drivers

Thanks in advance.
    • By ionutzm05
      Hello guys,

I'm trying to install OS X El Capitan on my new HP Envy 17t m7-n101dx notebook. Before giving more details, I'd like to show you the configuration of this laptop:
      Intel i7-5500U processor 16GB RAM 1TB 5400rpm HDD that I will use for OS X (Windows will be installed on a 256GB SSD connected to the M.2 adapter; If OS X runs well I might consider installing it in the future on the SSD and use the HDD for Windows) Intel HD 5500 internal graphics, nVidia GeForce 940M 2GB 17.3 Full HD IPS touchscreen display Looking at those specs, in theory, I should be able to run OS X without any issues (I also made a hackintosh from my desktop in the past, so I have some ideas on how this process should be done).

However, two weeks ago I tried to install El Capitan and I got some issues. I used my friend's MacBook to make a bootable installation using Clover. I got to the point where I could see the Apple logo and then an immediate crash (kernel panic issued by the HD 5500, after checking on some forums).

I gave up when I read that I have to modify my BIOS for a custom DVMT allocation size and there is a possibility to kill my notebook's motherboard. I didn't knew what's the memory allocated for DVMT, so I booted Windows and saw that it is 128MB. When I did more research I found out that 128MB is fine for running this version of OS X, the laptops with 32MB allocation size have problems.

Now, I would like to give this another try. Do you have an idea if I should use any patches or something? And can you explain to me why do I have problems with Intel HD 5500 and this DVMT allocation size when I have nVidia GeForce 940M?

Thank you.
    • By 171621
      AMD Radeon 7850M, successfully updated to 10.10.3 using fix method: modifying info.plist of AMDRadeonX4000.kext, changed AMDVerdeGraphicsAccelerator as:
      <key>CAIL_DisableDrmdmaPowerGating</key> <integer>1</integer> <key>CAIL_DisableDynamicGfxMGPowerGating</key> <integer>1</integer> <key>CAIL_DisableGfxCGPowerGating</key> <integer>1</integer> <key>CAIL_DisableGmcPowerGating</key> <integer>1</integer> <key>CAIL_DisableStaticGfxMGPowerGating</key> <integer>1</integer> <key>CAIL_DisableUVDPowerGating</key> <integer>0</integer> <key>CAIL_DisableVCEPowerGating</key> <integer>1</integer> Combo updated to 10.10.4, the screen went black again after loading kexts, tried fixing with the above method but didn't work, now it went black even I enabled the Safe Mode~~~~

Here is my notebook info:

HP Envy 17t-3200 CTO 3D
      Board:HP 1852 (Intel Ivy Bridge - HM76 Express)
      CPU:3rd Gen Core i7-3820QM @ 2.70 GHz Quadcore
      Graphic Card:ATI Radeon HD 7850M/8850M
      Sound Card:High Definition Audio Device @
      Ethernet Card:Attansic AR8151 V2.0 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
      Wireless Card:Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
      DVD ROM:HP BD E DC6E2SH Blu-Ray Combo
      Bluetooth:Broadcom 20702 Bluetooth 4.0
      External Keyboard:Logitech MK330 USB 3.0

It seems that BIOS has blocked the Intel HD Graphics on my notebook. Also I am using chameleon booting method with extracted graphic rom file and the following SMBios.plist settings:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>SMbiosdate</key> <string>04/22/11</string> <key>SMbiosvendor</key> <string>Apple Inc.</string> <key>SMbiosversion</key> <string>MBP81.88Z.0047.B04.1102071707</string> <key>SMboardproduct</key> <string>Mac-94245B3640C91C81</string> <key>SMfamily</key> <string>MacBook Pro</string> <key>SMmanufacter</key> <string>Apple Inc.</string> <key>SMmanufacturer</key> <string>Apple Inc.</string> <key>SMproductname</key> <string>MacBookPro8,1</string> <key>SMserial</key> <string>C02F9DHNDH2G</string> <key>SMsystemversion</key> <string>1.0</string> </dict> </plist> Seeking for help~~~ Many thanks in advance!