Atheros AR242x.802.11 abg working/not working

Laszlo Lebrun

6 posts in this topic

Hi nerds here,

could i tap your experience?

I have got two pretty similar notebooks.

The first one has got an Atheros AR242x.802.11 abg Ven_168c/Dev_001c/Rev 01 perfectly working.

system profiler sees the Atheros card @ en0

The second one has got an Atheros AR242x.802.11 abg Ven_168c/Dev_001c/Rev 04 not working (cannot be started) and not "seen" by the system profiler.

The card works perfectly with windows.

The two systems have got some differences in the PCI bridges. The first on with the working card has PCI ports 1,2,4 all with an Ich8 chip.

On this system the Atheros driver comes with IRQ19 and Memory@FE2000000.

The second on with the non-working Atheros has got PCI bridge ports 1 and 3 only, all with the same Ich8 chip.

On this system the Atheros driver comes with IRQ18 and Memory@FC2000000.

Can this be the explanation of the behaviour differences?

Have you got a clue how to fix it?

Thank you.

funny u say standard.. no its not, many chipsets have siimilarities but not same.

in your case the subsystem id says a lot about the card .. the capabilities of the chipset.

AR5B91 is not used in apples but AR9280 AR5BXB92 to be exact is.

its similar to it and works. by the way its N speed not G

for you i suspect one of them isnt full a/b/g but rather G or B/G if does NOT have A then usualy wont work.

have u swaped (changed them arround from laptops ?)

if the one that works doesnt work in the other laptop then its something on the laptop not the card.

make sure the /Extra/smbios.plist is MacBook5,1 NOT PRO .. or u can try pro. just not Pro4,1

• Like 1

funny u say standard.. no its not, many chipsets have siimilarities but not same.

in your case the subsystem id says a lot about the card .. the capabilities of the chipset.

AR5B91 is not used in apples but AR9280 AR5BXB92 to be exact is.

its similar to it and works. by the way its N speed not G

for you i suspect one of them isnt full a/b/g but rather G or B/G if does NOT have A then usualy wont work.

have u swaped (changed them arround from laptops ?)

if the one that works doesnt work in the other laptop then its something on the laptop not the card.

make sure the /Extra/smbios.plist is MacBook5,1 NOT PRO .. or u can try pro. just not Pro4,1

Thank you, i highly appreciate your support.

I will try swapping the cards that next week-end, this implies to dismantle quite a lot of the notebooks.

I just was waiting for a newly ordered 3G card to come, so i won't need to dismantle the laptop twice.

I will verify the /Extra/smbios.plist this evening, that one is easy.

dont forget to tape pin 20 if needed to turn on radio

also in dsdt on dells especialy the Device (PCI0) had _ADR, 0x00 and its mising _UID, 0x00

rename (_ADR, 0x00) to (_UID, 0x00) or add it

if ADR is 0x01 change to 0x00