Can no longer boot into previously stable Lion 10.7.2 - Please help!

lee majors

3 posts in this topic

Hi there,

Using Fabio's Lionize method I've had a working Lion install (10.7.2) for ages. (link to method: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=267001)

The other day I had loaded something onto a USB stick and then put the computer to sleep... just as it went to sleep I remembered to take the stick out.

Since then I can't boot up. It gets to chameleon, I choose an install and it gets to the rotating circle and then it either hangs with a partial circle or a semi obscured kernel panic.

I've attached a photo of what I get if I do a -v -x at chameleon.

I've tried booting into the original USB stick as well and nothing will get me any further; I can't help thinking there's something wrong with the MBR (but haven't seen any messages telling me that might be the case)

Can anyone give me some advice? Willing to try anything as currently can't use the machine.

I have two identical drives I can try and boot to.

Thanks!

Hello... is anyone out there? Surely there must be someone considerably more clever than I! Happy to answer any diagnostic questions you may have..

Some more information....

I've taken the drive out and put it in an enclosure and can read it from another computer in the house perfectly fine. So there's something wrong with the booting aspect of the computer. This bears out when I try and boot into a perfectly bootable USB image (as outlined by Fabio's method above)

Does anyone know how to fix boot problems?

Could it be chameleon? Or something with the Boot record? Plllllllease if you're out there reading this and might know something, help!

I solved the problem!

I have absolutely no idea how. As someone who works as a developer, not knowing how I fixed something frustrates the hell out of me.

Sorry if the same thing happened to you and you are looking for answers. But If it has, ask and I will hopefully have something helpful to add.