Virtualbox - 10.6.7

Sharks12

7 posts in this topic

It all works fine until this kernel panic occurs. Can you guys help me out this bit? AMD processor, Intel Hazard SSE2-3, Virtualbox. Internet, Sound works. Just random crashes. Using Legacy kernel 10.7

Thanks.

Hi there,

Have you installed any kexts lately? This may be your problem. But I don't really know because I can't see a kext (driver) in the description of this panic.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll have to have basic linux commandline knowledge and have to boot with -s

Then you can remove the conflicting kext, but I don't know precisely how to, so you'll have to search that, I'm afraid. Sorry

You don't have to boot with -s if you can actually boot. If you can boot, you can just go into /System/Library/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions and remove the conflicting kext. If you need to boot into single-user (-s) or use the Terminal, you use the command rm. In single-user mode, you would type the following:

/sbin/mount -uw / (this is necessary only for single-user; this mounts your drive as read/write)

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/your_conflicting_kext.kext

Or, if the kext is in /E/E:

rm -R /Extra/Extensions/your_conflicting_kext.kext

However, your issue doesn't look like a kext issue. Rather, it seems like it tries to call a certain function for an app and fails. Does it only happen when working with a specific application, or is it truly random?

You don't have to boot with -s if you can actually boot. If you can boot, you can just go into /System/Library/Extensions or /Extra/Extensions and remove the conflicting kext. If you need to boot into single-user (-s) or use the Terminal, you use the command rm. In single-user mode, you would type the following:

/sbin/mount -uw / (this is necessary only for single-user; this mounts your drive as read/write)

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/your_conflicting_kext.kext

Or, if the kext is in /E/E:

rm -R /Extra/Extensions/your_conflicting_kext.kext

However, your issue doesn't look like a kext issue. Rather, it seems like it tries to call a certain function for an app and fails. Does it only happen when working with a specific application, or is it truly random?

Ah, right, forgot that you can boot with -x (if you can boot). Thanks for correcting me! This helps the OP to delete the kext (if there is one, or app) without using cli commands. ;)

Sometimes you just forget the simplest solution :)

Regards

NP, man. Believe me, so many times I run into an issue, think it's a complicated fix, and someone says something simple, and I'm thinking, "How did I not remember that?" :P