Really slow SSD write speed...

schmoppa

2 posts in this topic

a little background: I made the mistake of formatting my OS drive as case-sensitive. My OS drive is a OCZ Vertex Series 120GB SATA II MLC Internal SSD.

So I cloned the SSD to a partition on my internal HDD, booted from it, and started to clone back to the SSD with Carbon Copy Cloner, but the progress was excruciatingly slow. Say, 10GB in 3 hours.

I stopped the clone operation, and did some testing. I tried copying directly from the HDD to the SSD, still very slow writes, and slow to estimate the time to copy; we're talking copying the iTunes app (about 170MB). "slow" is subjective, but on one copy (Copying an 18MB file), it hit 17MB fairly quickly, but then the transfer bar stopped for about 15 seconds until it finished.

On another copy test, an 82 MB file stalled at 10MB, then to 23 for a couple seconds, then hung on 81/82 for about 5 seconds before finishing. This doesn't seem like normal behavior.

Copying to/from a USB HDD resulted in about the same performance.

I'm running Lion 10.7.2.

Is there anything I'm missing? did I need to format / erase the SSD in a particular way?

I'm realizing that I never ran trim enabler in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. In the "About this Mac" bit it said no trim support for the SSD. I ran Trim Enabler, and now it says I have trim support.

And copying and cloning go much faster. Phew!