[GUIDE] Install Snow Leopard 10.6 on GA-870A-USB3 / similar boards

MacFaulty

2 posts in this topic

In this guide I'll explain you how to install the Retail version of Mac 10.6.x on your system (preferred boards: GA-870A-USB3 GA-870A-UD3).

I’m sorry if any English is not spelled correctly.

edit: The 10.6.8 update has a bit delay, but will be added asap.

edit: ##### means [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (insanelymac strips m.beast from their texts?)

Prerequisites:

- Basic or moderate PC / MAC knowledge is recommended!

- A MAC OS X Snow Retail DVD (GM is also OK).

- A Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 or similar board.

- [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.10.1, you can get it at tonymacx86.com

- Nawcom’s ModCD 0.3.1, download it from nawcom’s blog.

- Nawcom’s Legacy Kernel for Snow 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 (So, 2 files!).

- Combo Update 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 from Apple Support Site. (2 files approx. 2GB).

- A blank HD or HD is formatted as a GPT disk

(it didn’t work with MBR in my case, but of course, feel free to try).

- Lots of patience!! :)

Setting your BIOS:

1. Turn on your PC and press DEL to get in the BIOS.

2. Load the CMOS defaults and then change the defaults to the values below:

- Advanced BIOS Features à EFI CD/DVD Boot Option [EFI]

- Integrated Peripherals --> OnChip SATA Type [AHCI]

- Integrated Peripherals --> OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type [As SATA Type]

- Power Management Setup --> ACPI Suspend Type [S1(POS)]

- Power Management Setup --> USB Wake Up from S3 [Disabled]

- Power Management Setup --> HPET support [Enabled]

- Power Management Setup --> ErP Support [Enabled]

I recommend you to save these settings, just in case your CMOS will be cleared on reboot. To do this, go in your BIOS and press F11 and give the settings a nice name :)

Installing MAC OS X Snow Leopard:

1. Press F12 at the boot screen and select your DVD drive from the list. Boot with

Nawcom’s ModCD!

2. When loaded you’ll see your drives, swap the BootCD with your Retail or GM disc and when the light stopped blinking on your DVD drive press F5.

3. Select your DVD drive if it isn’t selected and simply press ENTER. If you have an unsupported graphics card you may need to type –x first before you hit ENTER. If this doesn’t work try: -arch=i386 –busratio=<your busratio here>.

4. Congrats! You’ll see the home screen of the setup of your Retail DVD!

5. I assume you have a blank HD, if not, create a partition using the builtin MAC Disk Utility. There are plenty guides for that, so I’m not going to cover that process. Do make sure that the partition hasn’t had a fast-format!! I did a fast-format for a reïnstall once and my MAC wouldn't boot (I think it still used some earlier kexts, because voodooHDA was showing up but wasn't installed).

6. If you reach the screen where you can choose the drive to install SL (Snow Leopard) to, click the button at the bottom-left corner of the screen, called Customize.

7. De-select all printer drivers and only select your language (to speed up install).

8. Unfold the CUSTOM OPTIONS dropdown list and select the following:

- Legacy Kernel.

- ElliotForceLegacyRTC.

- SleepEnabler.

- DO NOT SELECT ANY AUDIO OR DISK OPTIONS! These caused my install to fail!

9. The best part, hit the Install button and your MAC will be installed, YAY!! :D

After installation reboot and boot with your BootCD, don’t do any other things!

Installing Combo Update 10.6.7 and running ######:

1. At the BootCD screen navigate to the HD or partition where you’ve installed MAC and press ENTER, you may need to press a key again continue booting.

1.1 If you cannot boot, try it with –x or –v or arch=i386.

2. If you’ve booted in your MAC, CONGRATULATIONS! :)

3. Open the combo update 10.6.7 you’ve downloaded earlier, but do not install yet, only start the install package (install screen).

4. Open ######, but do not install yet. If you’ve opened ######, go ahead and install the combo update 10.6.7. Do not reboot after installation!!!

5. If the combo update went fine, go ahead and run ######. The options

below are for NON-DSDT USERS ONLY!!!

Select the following in ######:

- System Utilities.

- Drivers & Bootloaders --> Miscellaneous (all checked, except the IOUSBFamily Rollback!).

- Drivers & Bootloaders --> Audio --> Universal --> VoodooHDA 0.2.7.2 (VoodooHDA has better sound, more crystality).

- Drivers & Bootloaders --> Network --> Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Ethernet

- Bootloaders --> Chimera v1.7.0 r1394.

- Customization --> Boot Options --> 64-bit Apple Boot Screen.

- Customization --> Boot Options --> Generate CPU States.

- Customization --> System Definitions --> Mac Pro --> MacPro 3,1 (most used and most similarities between quad-core systems).

- Customization --> Themes --> tonymacx86 Remixed.

- OSx86 Software (all checked).

6. Hit the continue button in ###### and then the Install button.

7. When ###### is finished, install the Legacy Kernel 10.6.7 (all options checked).

Reboot and boot from your HD where you’ve installed MAC, if everything is OK you should be able to boot from your HD and you should get in your installed MAC. To check your MAC version, goto the apple logo at the top-left corner and click on the About this Mac function! If everything went okay, you should see 10.6.7.

Update to 10.6.8

Because I haven't got this mobo anymore I cannot test it thoroughly, but according to the things I remember it must be correct or really close. So do make a BACKUP of your files or drive before continuing!

Prerequisites

- [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

- The Combo update from Apple website.

- Nawcom's or AnV's legacy kernel for 10.6.8.

- Patience and not fearing for trial and error situations :)

The actual update

Open [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and check the same options as you did earlier. But now also check under the Drivers & Bootloaders category the Etron USB 3.0 driver.

Now open and install the combo update and then switch back to [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and hit install button.

You should be able to get into Mac just fine when rebooted.

If this last part is wrong, or you have any optimization(s). Please, DO add here and I'll change it in the guide accordingly.

Edited by Wcool
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...