Computer Hardware upgrade due to homework.

1 post in this topic

Hello,

My current machine is a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L, with an Intel E6550 2.33Ghz Dual Core, and 4Gb Pc6400 of Corsair xms2 Ram. I am using a 500GB WD Caviar Black Hard DRive and an 8800Gt as my Video Card.

I am running OSX86 Lion and I use my computer for school homework, web browsing, light photoshop, etc. I also run Windows 7 in Parallels for my GIS program Xmap7. I find myself using 80-120mb tiff images and georefrencing them withing xmap as part of my homework. I have noticed some sluggishness in the past, but its not really that big of a deal. However I am fixiing to have to start manipulating much bigger files and i'm wondering if I should go ahead and do an upgrade. I have some parts already picked out and I was wanting to get some feedback here:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

Processor: i5-760 Quad

Ram: 4x2GB (8gb total)Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600

Graphics Card: Sticking with the 8800GT

Hard Drive: Sticking with my current Drive

My current power supply is a 430W modular.

I was wondering if I ever decided to upgrade to an SSD would the Sata2 would be a restriction? Also, should I focus on more ram? If I do this upgrade will I even notice much of a performance difference? Is it worth my time and money to do this upgrade?

Thanks,

Han