TP-Link TL-WN851N - connection dropping

PookyMacMan

46 posts in this topic

I loaded the new DSDT and swapped out nawcom's legacy kernel with AnV's, and now the lag is gone...:) So that leaves one issue left:

I can't figure out for the life of me how to switch en1 and en0. Now I'm getting the "Your device or computer can't be verified" error in the App Store that I didn't have w/ 10.6.7...I tried unloading and reloading the reloading the networking kexts one at a time, but that didn't work. What can I do?

Thank you for all the help. :)

Sorry - RTC was not fixed by 0x10; I had forgotten what I had fixed it with and apparently I gave you the wrong DSDT w/out the RTC fix...I used 0x02. :)

Do you know what I can do to swap en0 and en1? Fixed; changed NetworkInterfaces.plist inside /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. :)However, the App Store still doesn't work right... Fixed by enabling EthernetBuiltIn in org.chameleon.boot.plist. :D With the exception of audio aggregate devices, my hackintosh is fully functional now!! Thank you so much for your great help!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking that it might have also been a kernel issue...my new build with a Core 2 Quad (using vanilla kernel) has not had a connection drop in Snow or Lion. I'll report back if something does happen (I'll try the patched IOPCIFamily first).

• 3 months later...

Now another problem...my oh my, I am getting frustrated...:P

Well, now it's with the 10.7.4 update. When I upgraded to Lion (10.7.2 initially), I patched the AirPortAtheros21.kext with 168c,29, and it worked right away. Then, when I updated to 10.7.3, it gave me an error something like "The super class viable for xxxx is incorrect - make sure your kext is built with the correct headers". Super weird, I thought, so I simply restored (via Time Machine) my old kext (the entire IO80211Family, not just the Atheros plugin) and it worked again. Now, I've updated to 10.7.4, I got the same error, but the kext from 10.7.2 did not work this time. :( Upon googling some info, I tried a few different kexts that said they would change things. All of them said that same build error. I also tried the IO80211Family.kext from my MacBook with 10.7.4 (also uses AirPortAtheros21.kext), but no go. As a last resort, I tried restoring the 10.7.2 IO80211Family.kext with the 10.7.4 AirPortAtheros21 plugin, and...the Atheros plugin has the same problems as the IO80211Family. :(

The only kext I can get to fully load is the one from 10.7.2, but with that kext it says "WiFi - no hardware found", and of course I cannot turn WiFi on in Sys Prefs either. Is this a DSDT issue? Is the IO80211Family open-sourced, so I could manually build it correctly? I am completely confused at the moment...

Thanks,

Pooky

Got it. :) I was using another IONetworkingFamily from the ModCD that was overriding the Lion one...deleting the old one worked, my network interfaces (Ethernet & WiFi) work again. :D

• Like 1

PookyMac Man,

I have a similar card (also a late gift) the TL-WN851ND. I put it in a 10.7.0 Lion build on a similar motherboard to you.

The card is recognized but there are other interface problems which I believe are left over from the previous Wifi card I had in the machine. What combination of .kexts did you actually end up using to get your wifi back?

Thanks!

The card is recognized? Have you verified that for certain? Check in System Information > Software > WiFi.

All I did was patch the AirPortAtheros21.kext inside /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family/Contents/PlugIns with my device ID, in my case 0029, like so (in Terminal)

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros21.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Then I looked for:

<key>IOPCINameMatch</key>

Below it I deleted all the entries except for pci168c,2a and changed the 2a to 29 (my device ID). Then Save by pressing Control-X > y > Enter. Update the kext caches and that should get your card working.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

PookyMacMan,

It seems to be recognized in software (see Screenshot) but I can't turn on the device in network settings...

I've discovered there is a chipset difference between the 851N and the 851ND... so perhaps the DeviceID change you suggested (that I did try) might not fix my issues.

I looked at trying to fool around with the DSDT file to add the device ID there but, quite frankly, I get lost in that stuff quite quickly, I'm afraid.

Thanks for your response though, it was something I hadn't tried.

Take care.

post-99721-0-36007900-1340399600_thumb.png

Don't worry, I'm still confused by (a lot of) DSDT too. ;)

What you need to check is the WiFi branch under the network branch in Sys Info that you selected in the screenshot. That Network section only shows the software interfaces, meaning they can exist even if there is no hardware linked to it. Check WiFi and see if it gives any hardware info (otherwise it'll just give you software info).

Boot in verbose mode also, and see if you get any errors about IO80211Family not loading correctly.

• Like 1

Glad to hear it. :)

When updating to 10.7.4, drag the current IO80211Family.kext to the desktop. After updating try applying the same patch you did in 10.7.3; if it doesn't work, then reinstall the kext on your desktop with Kext Utility.

Well, I've run into a minor issue with my card again...

I've been trying to get AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement working via HPET and LPC DSDT patches that I found here: http://olarila.com/forum/patches.php (I downloaded the HPET patch under Misc and the LPC ICH10 patch under Desktop)

Problem is, when I apply the HPET patch, my wireless refuses to work. First it said:

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros9380/AirPortDriverAtheros9380-431.14.10/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:962] load failed

and now it's saying:

can not register interrupt

This is the DSDT w/out HPET or LPC patches: dsdt.aml.zip

Well, I've run into a minor issue with my card again...

I've been trying to get AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement working via HPET and LPC DSDT patches that I found here: http://olarila.com/forum/patches.php (I downloaded the HPET patch under Misc and the LPC ICH10 patch under Desktop)

Problem is, when I apply the HPET patch, my wireless refuses to work. First it said:

start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros9380/AirPortDriverAtheros9380-431.14.10/src/common/lmac/ath_dev/darwin/AtherosController.cpp:962] load failed

and now it's saying:

can not register interrupt

This is the DSDT w/out HPET or LPC patches: dsdt.aml.zip

ive had problem with some patches mixing up stuff. sometimes extra irq in hpet isnt needed.

try 0, 8 . then add 11 and try it... then try 15 also next to 11..

2 irq.. or 3 . or 4

0, 8, 11

also the gigabytes Device (PCI0) has _UID or ADR 0x01 .. osx likes 0x00

I've already patched the _UID device to 0x00. :) That's what enabled QE/CI on my GeForce.

0 and 8 were present on the original patch, so I added 11 to no avail, but upon adding 15 it worked! :D Thank you for all your patience in helping me with my WiFi since January. :)

• Like 1