Dual Monitors with Lion

dananotech

1 post in this topic

Hi,

I have been a computer tech for many years (30+) and routinely install Windows & Mac OSes (and occasionally Linux). I have built and repaired many Windows boxes and repair and update Macs a lot, but this is my first try at a Hackintosh.

I just put together a Hackintosh. Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, i7-2600K, and a GeForce 9500GT.

I have Lion installed (and Windows 7) and it works (mostly). I used tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install (and a retail Lion source + memory stick & DSDT). Thanks, Tony!

I have two monitors, one plugged into the VGA port and one in the DVI port.

On first booting up, the VGA monitor shows the Apple gray boot screen and the spinning "wagon wheel". When it gets to the login screen it switches to the DVI monitor and the VGA monitor goes black. After logging in, the DVI monitor works fine and System Preferences -> Displays and the System Information both correctly identify the monitor connected to the DVI port. System Information correctly identifies the graphics card.

The problem is that the monitor on the VGA port isn't detected. Any ideas on how to get the second monitor working? (The dual monitors work fine in Windows 7).

btw, the first time I installed Lion, I ran the combined 10.7.2 update and that really messed up the system. If I had my second monitor plugged into the DVI port, then I got nothing but black screens when the system booted to the login screen. If I unplugged the DVI cable, the first monitor (VGA) came back alive and I could log in and use the computer, but only on the VGA connector. So, I had to re-install Lion and now I am afraid to run the system update :-(

Thanks,

-Dan

graphics card info.tiff