Copying Installation to a different drive...

sid.

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've had a great running OSX86 experience since the past few months.

When I first started out, I used a smaller hard drive to install it thinking I'll test it for a while. Now after a while and after seeing everything works perfectly, I want to put the install on a larger hard drive.

So heres the situation,

I have a 160gig drive right now with OSx86 installed. I also have a 500gig drive in the same computer on which I want OSx86 now. How do I do it? I dont wanna reinstall cause I've got a lot going on already in the install and its really stable, dont wanna mess with it.

I figure I already have the bootloader installed so I could somehow mirror my existing drive on the larger one and then choose the larger one while booting. But how do I do it?

Please help!

I would do a restore in Disk Utility. Open Disk Utility, select a disk, hit the Restore tab, and drag your current installation drive onto the Souce box and your 500 GB drive onto the Destination box. Hit Restore. If it doesn't work, try it from your installation disc.

The worst that could happen is that your bootloader would be deactivated, which is an easy fix. :)

Has anyone tried the disk utility route?

I have CCC, how do I go about copying my installation with that so that I can just start restart my comp and start working with the other drive.

I use the Disk Utility method all the time to clone my installations on real Macs. They work flawlessly. With CCC (I believe maybe an older version?), I sometimes couldn't get some installations to boot without repairing permissions.

The only thing I don't know is if it will remain bootable since it is a hackintosh and I never tried it on one. However, since you use Chimera, even if it isn't bootable immediately, it is a very, very easy fix. :)

I use the Disk Utility method all the time to clone my installations on real Macs. They work flawlessly. With CCC (I believe maybe an older version?), I sometimes couldn't get some installations to boot without repairing permissions.

The only thing I don't know is if it will remain bootable since it is a hackintosh and I never tried it on one. However, since you use Chimera, even if it isn't bootable immediately, it is a very, very easy fix. :)

Yea am running Chimera. Whats the fix by the way if I see its not booting? Should I boot it with a boot cd and then install chimera, is that what the fix is?

You boot with a CD, copy your Extra folder to your Desktop, reinstall Chimera, and copy your Extra folder back. You should have your kexts, DSDT, etc.