Dell dimensions 5100 (945G) working except audio

offall

7 posts in this topic

After searching and checking this forum a lot,

I finally get everything except sound card working.

My computer is Dell dimensions 5100

with

P4 3.2G HT enabled , (my cpu is 541 that have EMT64 supported but don think tiger made use of it)

945G chipset

with GMA950 video card, (I actually have a geforce 6800, but only made GMA support both coreimage and QE)

intel pro VE 100M ethernet

sigmatel 9220 sound card

1.5G ram

200G harddrive through ATA

here is what I did

1. install with the phoenix ISO patched with release 1, with selecting SSE3 and other extension patch, release one is great and work smoothly without pain, only the finishing scripting took so long time (it shows running finishing script with less than one minute, but actually take around 15 min, at first time I thought it hung up so reinstalled it and find out it just need long time)

the other thing worth note is that

I installed it on the seagate 200G ATA harddrive,but the disk utility only recognize 120G, (afterwards I mod the ICH7 extension then it works)

2. after installation, I can boot into tiger without any problem except it is extremly slow and not regconize a single device there, not even the second harddrive (the sata one with xp), pretty frustrated

but it can recoginize my cpu with HT, (show two cpu in the activity monitor)

3. then for the boot, I couldn't use platform=X86PC , after searching and thinking , I copied the applei386genericplatform.kext from the darwin CD then it works, but compare one option and platform = X86PC and ACPI, I hardly notice any difference.

3. to make GMA950 works

I mod all appleinitel915* extensions in system/library/extensions, thanks cyrana for your effort, but strangely I can't use all your moded extensions directly (different device ID??) then I had to edit them myself.

but basiclly, change device ID in info.plist of all above appleintel915* extensions ---contenct---from 915 to 945 to make tiger think you are using a GMA900 (the device ID can be found at the system profile--graphic) and then make the all permit and ownship correct.

recommand BBEdit for modify, (a demo version can be get from their website)

now it runs with fully coreimage and QE and 1280*1024@75hz , (during the boot the grey logo still in 1024*768 so I mod the bootlist to make it 1280*1024), only strange thing is in system profile, it still says display status: no device detected. so I guess it hasn't find my monitor, click detect display without effect, but anyway , it doesn't matter actually

4. to make the ethernet work, I used the forcer's mod info.plist in the networkingfamily.kext, basiclly mod the appleintel8255x.kext to make it thinking u using 915 netcard

5. the hard drive,

this one took me a long time, the final solution is to edit the appleintelPIIATA.kext on the ICH4, 5, 6, 7

Thanks force for figuring this out.

after reboot, it recognize the second harddrive plus HUGE speed increase.

however,

after second reboot, the harddrive is slow again, but it still recognize the second harddrive, so it is not the problem of PIIATA.kext, I found it very likely something wrong with the IOfamily.kext, I tried the crynana's one and the one by greeze but neither works.

only method is to delete two kextcache file everytime before shutdown to let system rebuild them afterwards,

another get around I am using now is to write the -f in bootlist

6 sound card.

My dell comes with sigmatel 9220 sound card, I tried mod the ac97.kext or alsa one, neither works, it seems not quite standard ac97, I bet there is a way to get it easily but haven't figure it out, now I am working on it.

by far, everything is working except sound, which is quite sad, but it super fast I thought, the boot speed is definately much faster than my G5 dual 2.0G, I tried few x86 software on the wiki, it turn out to be very satisfaying,

(I notice the chickenVNC and the FFview are still running in rosetta so they are not fat binary yet, could some one try to edit that ? I don't know how to edit wiki and the original chickenVNC download address doesn't work)

rosetta actually can be easilly noticed, especially at start, have to say it is slow.) the spotlight is not working well because all my other harddrive partitions is NTFS, it can't be journalled so searching is so slow and I can't found way to limit it only search the tiger partition, any hints on this?

Three things besides sound card now bother me is

first the rebooting-lost-UDMAsupport, the -f only a work around as forcer said.

second thing is I have both GMA950 and a PCIE geforce 6800, I want to use 6800 for gaming and other things in windows, but I can't use GMA950 when anything in the PCIE slot, it really sucks. everytime if I want to use tiger, I have unplug my 6800, it really stupid I know. but don't know any work around.

thrid thing is the hard drive, I have two hard drive, with xp on the SATA and tiger on the ATA, (I don't want to mess things in my windows) , then the boot loader for tiger doesn't work, every time I have to press F12 to select which hard drive I want to boot , it really is a pain, is anyone know any boot loader could select between operation system between harddrive? I will appreciate if anyone give me any hints

• 1 month later...
After searching and checking this forum a lot,

I finally get everything except sound card working.

My computer is Dell dimensions 5100

with

P4 3.2G HT enabled , (my cpu is 541 that have EMT64 supported but don think tiger made use of it)

945G chipset

with GMA950 video card, (I actually have a geforce 6800, but only made GMA support both coreimage and QE)

intel pro VE 100M ethernet

sigmatel 9220 sound card

1.5G ram

200G harddrive through ATA

Here is what I did

1. install with the phoenix ISO patched with release 1, with selecting SSE3 and other extension patch, release one is great and work smoothly without pain, only the finishing scripting took so long time (it shows running finishing script with less than one minute, but actually take around 15 min, at first time I thought it hung up so reinstalled it and find out it just need long time)

the other thing worth note is that

I installed it on the seagate 200G ATA harddrive,but the disk utility only recognize 120G, (afterwards I mod the ICH7 extension then it works)

2. after installation, I can boot into tiger without any problem except it is extremly slow and not regconize a single device there, not even the second harddrive (the sata one with xp), pretty frustrated

but it can recoginize my cpu with HT, (show two cpu in the activity monitor)

3. then for the boot, I couldn't use platform=X86PC , after searching and thinking , I copied the applei386genericplatform.kext from the darwin CD then it works, but compare one option and platform = X86PC and ACPI, I hardly notice any difference.

3. to make GMA950 works

I mod all appleinitel915* extensions in system/library/extensions, thanks cyrana for your effort, but strangely I can't use all your moded extensions directly (different device ID??) then I had to edit them myself.

but basiclly, change device ID in info.plist of all above appleintel915* extensions ---contenct---from 915 to 945 to make tiger think you are using a GMA900 (the device ID can be found at the system profile--graphic) and then make the all permit and ownship correct.

recommand BBEdit for modify, (a demo version can be get from their website)

now it runs with fully coreimage and QE and 1280*1024@75hz , (during the boot the grey logo still in 1024*768 so I mod the bootlist to make it 1280*1024), only strange thing is in system profile, it still says display status: no device detected. so I guess it hasn't find my monitor, click detect display without effect, but anyway , it doesn't matter actually

4. to make the ethernet work, I used the forcer's mod info.plist in the networkingfamily.kext, basiclly mod the appleintel8255x.kext to make it thinking u using 915 netcard

5. the hard drive,

this one took me a long time, the final solution is to edit the appleintelPIIATA.kext on the ICH4, 5, 6, 7

Thanks force for figuring this out.

after reboot, it recognize the second harddrive plus HUGE speed increase.

however,

after second reboot, the harddrive is slow again, but it still recognize the second harddrive, so it is not the problem of PIIATA.kext, I found it very likely something wrong with the IOfamily.kext, I tried the crynana's one and the one by greeze but neither works.

only method is to delete two kextcache file everytime before shutdown to let system rebuild them afterwards,

another get around I am using now is to write the -f in bootlist

6 sound card.

My dell comes with sigmatel 9220 sound card, I tried mod the ac97.kext or alsa one, neither works, it seems not quite standard ac97, I bet there is a way to get it easily but haven't figure it out, now I am working on it.

by far, everything is working except sound, which is quite sad, but it super fast I thought, the boot speed is definately much faster than my G5 dual 2.0G, I tried few x86 software on the wiki, it turn out to be very satisfaying,

(I notice the chickenVNC and the FFview are still running in rosetta so they are not fat binary yet, could some one try to edit that ? I don't know how to edit wiki and the original chickenVNC download address doesn't work)

rosetta actually can be easilly noticed, especially at start, have to say it is slow.) the spotlight is not working well because all my other harddrive partitions is NTFS, it can't be journalled so searching is so slow and I can't found way to limit it only search the tiger partition, any hints on this?

Three things besides sound card now bother me is

first the rebooting-lost-UDMAsupport, the -f only a work around as forcer said.

second thing is I have both GMA950 and a PCIE geforce 6800, I want to use 6800 for gaming and other things in windows, but I can't use GMA950 when anything in the PCIE slot, it really sucks. everytime if I want to use tiger, I have unplug my 6800, it really stupid I know. but don't know any work around.

thrid thing is the hard drive, I have two hard drive, with xp on the SATA and tiger on the ATA, (I don't want to mess things in my windows) , then the boot loader for tiger doesn't work, every time I have to press F12 to select which hard drive I want to boot , it really is a pain, is anyone know any boot loader could select between operation system between harddrive? I will appreciate if anyone give me any hints

Great reading... I found this post too late. I have a Dimension 5150 which is almost identical to yours. My ethernet work right away. I gues that is one of the differences. I had a big problem getting my sysem to see the SATA hard drive. I installed from DVD to an IDE hard drive an then copied to the SATA after I figured it out. I had to edit the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext file and add tyhe correct vendor and device ID's. Some were included in the 945gextensions.pkg I was using, but there were 2 missing for the ICH7 to work. Check my other posts if you need tyo know how to edit this...

As for the video, the 945Gextensios.pkg took care of that. I see GMA950 in system profiler and am viewing at 1920x1600 on my Dell 2405FPW. Looks great.

I too noticed a decrease in performance after edidting the ICH7 kext and rebooting. I inintially got a xbench of around 62, now I am around 30-40. I also have to hit -f during boot to get into OSX. If not, I get waiting for root device. Whats the -f for???

Did deleting the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache make a performance difference on reeboot? I am sure you can set automator to delete these easily. I haven't played much with OSX, more trying to get the system working 100%. What is your xbench? I got 43 after deleting them... Still a ways away from 61.49 I originally got.

What patches and upgrades did you use? I used the following in this order:

1. 945gExtensions_0.2.pkg, had to edit AppleIntellPIIXATA.kext
  2. Maxxuss-SSE2-and-AntiTPM-Patches-v0.5c.iso, skipped the SSE2 part
  3. Maxxuss-Exec_10.4.2-v0.1.iso
  4. osx86-update.pkg, 10.4.1 to 10.4.3 update (not actually to 10.4.3, just added support)

Anything you found that would possibly solve the decrease in performance issue? I too, don't have the audio working yet....

1920x16005xj.jpg

Thank you for read my old post, it has been 2 month, and I thought the x86 10.4.1 still doesn't work as well and the mac counterpart (espiecally meida playing , no HD quicktime support, not able to play back VLC, a lot applications didn't have x86 version and rosetta is fairely slow indeed, webbrowers also lack of lot functions and that I can't get sound work, no one in this forum is interested in writting a souncard driver for sigmatel , although someone is smart enough to come out with a driver for CMI sound card from scratch. The person write CMI driver seems not reluctant to tell me how he did it, sadlly I am not smart enough to figure it out myself. To make it even worse experience, the nividia drivers project progresses quite slow (they said on web the newer version is coming on Oct but now is Dec almost) and they don't even have a forum to let me know what they are doing right now, (Sorry I don't use IRC) But I don't blame them actuallybecause it quite hard for none nvidia people to figure out things like that. but the fact is I really love my 6800 and don't reluctant to unplug it everytime

Basically after inital WOW effect, I think the osx86 now is pretty much useless compare to a real mac so I end up didn't use it for quite a while. I am using my G5 at work and windows for gaming and really have fun now.

as to the slow down issue.

From I can recall now, what I did is to unload and delete the original kext for IOfamiliy and another kext file (I can't remember the name, if you interested ,I will check for u)

everytime reboot and it works like a charm as I can tell

and I wrote a start scripts to do it automaticlly.

hope it helps

Now the 10.4.3 is out and I may try to install it sometime later, but without nvidia and soundcard drivers, I still don't want to use it as a main platform, and it still has long way to go to match the real mac, my G5 works much better so far.

Why don't just wait till Jan for the real osx86 come out, I hope by that time maxxuss won't be caught by big brothers and can still work for us then we may able to use a much better osx86 by then (Actually I regret to see the 10.4.3 is leaked, not much imporvement and APPLE will DEFINATELY make it much harder to hack the retail OSX86 seeing how easy the 10.4.3 get hacked.)

And by that time, nvidia and ATI and sigmatel may release their official drivers so we may be much happier.

• 5 months later...

<_< So I am a bit frustrated I have been on these blogs for hours trying to get my Intel 945 Chipset Ethernet to work in 10.4.5. I have added my n=vender and device ids to teh AppleIntel8255x.kext file and nothing happens can someone give me a step by step solution or send me their modified file. PLEASE HELP!

I am also using a 5150 Dell 945 Chipset with Intel Pro/100 VE ethernet!

Thanks

Steve

i just got a dell 5150 off ebay, as the wiki says all install native, (just add vendor id to kext)

i have done this and i still cannot get networking to work.

can anyone give me another pointer i would greatly appreciate it