Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

problem installing 10.6 on MBP with nonfunctional DVD

2 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install Snow Leopard onto a macbook model:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2,26 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1,07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

I made image restore in disc utility onto an external USB HDD. I boot with alt key and the drive showing up. So far so good. then i hit Enter on the USB drive. The grey bakgound and the apple image appears but can't boot. It takes about 10 minuts till a "no entry" sign appear instead of the Apple logo but only for about 3 seconds. Then boots from the computers' HDD which is running 10.6.5.

I tried a 10.6.0 and a 10.6.3 image but with same results.

Any help would be much appreciated.

the original OS for this MBP 13" is 10.5.7, so with a 10.6 or 10.6.3 you can install Mac OS. If you have another Mac with Firewire: Put your MBP into Target Disk Mode (press key T at startup) and connect it via Firewire to the other Mac. Start up from install disc (i rather to use 10.6.3) and select the internal disk from your MBP. So you install a copy of Mac OS X on another Mac or an external USB drive too.