Trying a fresh install on an older machine

knewsom

3 posts in this topic

I'm going to attempt to install Lion on my old GA-EX38-DS4 machine with a C2Q 9300 OC'd to 3.33GHz, and I'd like to do it via Kakewalk. Currently I only have Ubuntu installed on the machine, and would like the two to live alongside each other on a partitioned drive.

I have downloaded Lion on my Mac from the App store, and am about to make a USB boot drive with Kakewalk - which Motherboard on the list should I select, since mine is not officially supported? I'm not seeing any x38 boards on there, but there's gotta be something close enough to make work. Suggestions? I've posted the list below. (I'm not above some trial and error, I was just hoping for some intelligent hypotheses rather than what would be random guessing on my part)

• Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
  • Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR
  • Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
  • Gigabyte EP43-UD3L
  • Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
  • Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
  • Gigabyte EX58-UD4
  • Gigabyte EX58-UD5
  • Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
  • Gigabyte EX58-UD4P
  • Gigabyte X58A-UD7
  • Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
  • Gigabyte EP45-UD3L
  • Gigabyte EP45-DS3L
  • Gigabyte G41M-ES2L
  • Gigabyte P55M-UD2
  • Gigabyte P55-USB3
  • Gigabyte H55-USB3
  • Gigabyte H55M-S2V
  • Gigabyte H57M-USB3
  • Gigabyte P67A-UD4
  • Gigabyte P67A-UD7
  • Gigabyte X58A-UD9
  • Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H
  • Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
  • Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3
  • Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3
  • MSI P55M-GD45

Well, I went for it and just picked the first MoBo on the list - EP45-UD3LR. System is stable and functional. Sleep does not work, but never has with this board on Mac OS. Audio is recognized correctly in the system info app, but not available in system preferences, so no sound. WIll continue working on this a bit, but with this machine, sound is actually not terribly important. Its use is as a server and QMaster node. So sleep is also unimportant. Overall, I view this as an unmitigated success thus far. More updates as they bear.