radeon x1800xt problems

CharlesL

7 posts in this topic

this is my first hackintosh experience so be gentle.

specs:

intel pentium 4 531 (64bit) cpu

gigabyte GA-8I945P-G

3gb ddr2 667 ram

radeon x1800xt

160 gb wd caviar hdd

so after realizing that i needed to customize my install (nooby mistake), i finally got an installation to complete only to find no video upon reboot. i tried installing the c7 drivers for the x1000 series radeons and a few others to meet the same "no signal".

now, i want to have snow leopard installed but after running [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and pressing f5 to run the snow leopard install, i get a blank screen not a "no signal" screen.

the idea that i had was that i could first get leopard installed and working, then upgrade to snow leopard.

with the current hardware set, are there known issues that i need to address?

I have done countless installs and i run into the same problem no matter what i do. and i keep on reading forum threads stating to rename the kexts over (yes i actually searched before i posted) but how am i supposed to access the kexts files and rename if i cant even get it to make one successful run?

i also do not know which modded kernel i should use for my setup either. i know the HCL stated that this motherboard can run 10.5.0 with ac882 and a broadcom kext. but did not state if it needed a modded kernel or not.

i do not understand why this setup is not working, i was always under the assumption that with hackintosh's, ati was more compatible and intel processors were the way to go. i just dont think that this will work. all the searches i have done i havent run into anyone having the same problems.

also, i have a nvidia 6600gt and a 8400gs, but since these are both inferior cards to the x1800xt, i was trying to not have to resort to using them.

any suggestions/help would help.

well i found 1 thread on here discussing the same issue. apparently the only way to get it to work is to install it without ANY video drivers and then fix post installation. wish they would add this sort of information in the bloody tutorial. or the fact that you have to customize according to your pc hardware instead of selecting all of them (920speedstepkernel error). nooby mistakes, yes, but still you would think i would have found 1 thread discussing how to avoid the problems.

anyways, found fixes, going from there. will keep updated on progress.

installed applebroadcom5751.kext and now my router refuses to give it an ip address, subnet, or default gateway. when manually set it is able to ping to another windows machine on my network but not anything outside of the router.

working on ati videocard fix now.

not having any luck with ati fix. the kext that i am supposed to edit does not have the typical defaults where i replace said "xxx" with "yyy" trying to update with snow leopard and will see if that gives some of the default values these tutorials give so i can edit them and get my radeon card fully functioning.

snow leopard install failed. crash and rebooted back into 10.5.6... great.

got the default values of the mac address for the network card from running windows on it and copying its mac address down on a piece of paper. then used this tutorial to manually set the mac address:http://osxdaily.com/2008/01/17/how-to-spoof-your-mac-address-in-mac-os-x/

now i have internet.

well since everyone that has viewed this has been SOOOO helpful, i will update again.

i couldnt make heads or tails of the tutorial to get x1800xt working, so i tried giving natit a shot, and it worked from the get go. hopefully now that all the components installed correctly i will be able to update to snow leopard, and roll back the drivers that will replace the videocard and ethernet port.

i find that after reboot the mac address doesnt get reassigned and i have to put it in manually every time it boots.

there has to be a fix for this...

well i hosed the system trying to update to 10.5.8... yay me. now i have endless loop reboot.

while researching my bum off, i have discovered that snow leopard will not work on this motherboard because of the 945p northbridge. so even though it has the capability of doing 64 bit computations, snow leopard will not work due to not having x3100 compatibility. *sigh* oh well, maybe next time i will actually buy and build for my hackintosh as opposed to using old parts i had lying around. thanks for the views, all 30 of you, and hopefully my experience helped some of you out there.