Delete partition on GPT hard drive

{ Roger }

2 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I created on my Mac mini (Core Solo, 60 GB HDD) two partitions, the first for OS X, the second as data partition. However, OS X seems to eat all types of memory. How can I remove the second partition in order to resize the first partition using

diskutil resizeVolume

?

Note: since it is a real Mac, I can't boot Windows or Linux, I need to use OS X utils that can handle GPT partitioning.

Roger.

P. S.: Does anybody know why the size of the virtual memory of my Mac is > 10 GB? As I said, it likes to eat all kinds of memory. Under Windows XP, even when running several large applications, a 15 GB system & applications partition was completely sufficient.

P. S.: Does anybody know why the size of the virtual memory of my Mac is > 10 GB? As I said, it likes to eat all kinds of memory. Under Windows XP, even when running several large applications, a 15 GB system & applications partition was completely sufficient.

Don't believe Activity Monitor in regards to virtual memory.

OSX creates virtual memory swap files that are 64 MB in size. If you go to the directory /var/vm and count the number of "swapfiles" and multiply that by 64 MB, that is how much virtual memory the OS is using.

You can easily go to /var/vm in Finder by selecting the Go menu -> Go to Folder and typing: /var/vm

Perform a Get Info on the swapfile to verify that it is indeed only 64 MB in size.