I want to Install Lion onto my Supercomputer

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I have tried many times in the past to get my hardware to work with OSX on it with little varying success with slow progress but progress none the less. Fixed a kernal panic myself when auto mounting .dmg's. Fixes no keyboard found after install, fixed install failed. Fixed wifi/ AirPort problem, then audio stopped working.

I love Apple so here I am back, this is my annual holiday. I try once or twice a year to get this damn amazing OS to work on my cheap ass hardware. If I had the money, of course I know a Mac runs better on a Genuine Mac, and it is among my goals to achieve having money to buy one. Although I have accomplished getting an iPhone 3G, iPhone 4 and an iPad 2.

I have over 100 Apps on my Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate install but I'm willing to start over if I can get OSx86 10.7.2 working on my main machine.

Here are my specs, custom built.

Motherboard: Asrock x58 Supercomputer

CPU: i7 920

RAM: 24GB of Kingston memory

GPU: GeForce GTX 275 - NVIDIA

C:\ Drive: KingSton SSD Now 64GB

F:\ 1.5TB 3GB/s HDD

G:\ 3TB 3GB/s HDD

750w PSU

DVD RW+/ -

7 cooling fans,

other: please ask and I will promptly reply.

Be honest, do I have a chance at getting this to work on my system?

Yeah, your in good shape. That hardware looks like it will be pretty much 100% working in the end. I'd recommend doing a retail install with an actual Snow Leopard disk, and do the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]+[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method, as it's the preferred method nowadays.

If you do have a Snow Leopard retail DVD, you can follow this great guide here from tonymacx86:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

I'm getting ready to do this in the next couple of days, the last time I tried this, I wasn't able to get a kext for the x58 chipset. Do I need this and is it available? Advice if I should worry about this or not, also the rare kexts I was able to find, I could not figure out how to install them. Everyone seems to give a lot a varying advice.

I am a Genius when it comes to Windows and PCs, but I am kind of stumped with some of this stuff, I'm not sure if it's harder, different, or this stuff is just poorly documented. But please stupefy everything for me. I work hard to understand and learn quickly but don't assume I will know all the Mac terminology. I'm still learning but I've only had small steps of progress as opposed to leaps and bounds with Windows systems even though it's a horrible buggy, slow, flawed virus ridden platform.

main things u will need to keep eye on is

Chameleon 2.1 bootloader that loads /Extra/dsdt.aml (hardware faking of bios descriptions chameleon reads this file instead of motherboard hardware description)

/Extra/smbios.plist (fakes the model of mac board and serial and rom revision)

and /Extra/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext (fakes the SMC device in macs)

can be done from USB properly built as install disk from another mac with a snow leopard retail 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 .dmg